JamesI
JamesI, Technician
Experience:  I have provided on site support for a range of devices from media to telecoms.
75967336

I'm selling a house that was rewired around 20 years ago.

Hi. I'm selling a house that was rewired around 20 years ago. The buyers have had the electrics checked out and say that they are safe but are not to current standards/regulations. They are 16th edition and want upgrading/rewiring to 18th edition. I'm prtty sure I can sell a house with 16th edition. What do you think?
JA: How long have you had your 16TH?
Customer: around late 90's
JA: What have you tried so far?
Customer: how do you mean?
JA: The Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no that's fine. thanks

Hi, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

A house can be sold with 16th edition wiring, you only come unstuck when you want to make changes (put in additional sockets, extra lights, build an extension or loft conversion), since at that point the wiring for the house has to be at the current standard, and obviously having them at 18th, in a few years when 19th is standard would still mean work is required, but the lights will already be on an RCD (for example) so there is less to be done.

I personally wouldnt worry about your wiring, tell the buyers the electrics are still safe, as you could then argue the water isnt up to standard since you dont have flow restrictions on taps, or reduce flush button for toilets etc.

Please let me know if you need anything further.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Thanks for that. I’ll follow your advice

No problem, should they come back with anything in response to the electrics come back to me and assist you further.

Appreciate if you can rate the response using the star rating at the top of this page.

Please confirm I can mark the question as resolved.