JamesI
JamesI, Technician
Experience:  I have provided on site support for a range of devices from media to telecoms.
75967336

My microwave is cutting out before the time I have put in

Good morning. My microwave is cutting out before the time I have put in (apart from it will do 1 minute when 1 minute put in). When you open the door it is hot inside the microwave, however the liquid is cold. Can you tell me what is wrong
JA: What's the brand and model of your product?
Customer: Panasonic 857-96123
JA: What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried heating water, but mechanically, nothing.
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No I dont think so

Hi, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

How old is the microwave, and if when the microwave is running do you see the table turning inside?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Purchased in 2002. Turntable does revolve
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Is there a problem James, am I still connected to you

Sorry for the delay in responding, have you checked the microwave has air circulating around it (for example the air vents at not blocked)?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
that is all ok. Have just put 1/2 pint water in for 3 mins on medium and although it didn't cut out it has only come out lukewarm

Ok this points to a fault on the Hight Voltage circuit within the microwave.

Looking at eSpares, Ransom and other firms the HV PCB is showing as obsolete, the typical cost would be around £70. The HV PCB regulates power to the magnatron, and its likely this or the HV capacitor which has failed.

Based on the age of the appliance and parts being obsolete, I would recommend replacement rather than repair.

Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Sort of thought this would be the response because of the age of the equipment. Thank you for your confirmation and your speedy reply