JamesI
JamesI, Technician
Experience:  I have provided on site support for a range of devices from media to telecoms.
75967336

I have an S8 mobile, secured with a pattern. As I was

I have an S8 mobile, secured with a pattern. As I was resetting this, I was interrupted and now cannot open the phone. It has 980+ contacts and vital calendar data on it. Is there a way for Samsung staff to remove the password ***** losing data?
JA: When were you last able to use your phone?
Customer: Yesterday afternoon.
JA: Have you tried a Factory Reset? This will erase the phone's contents, but the Smartphone Expert can walk you through restoring your photos, contacts and other data from a backup (if you have one).
Customer: I'm not sure that I have a backup. I bought the phone a week ago today, and the sales assistant transferred my data for me but worked so quickly that I didn't understand what he did. He said something about backing up to Google?? Is that possible? I would probably have been logged in to Facebook.
JA: Anything else you want the Smartphone Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, tnx
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you there??
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you. I'd appreciate a response.

Hi, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

I see this question was raised yesterday do you still require assistance?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
please!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
via chat pls

Offers for calls are just automated adverts for optional services, you can discard them if your happy to continue to use chat.

The phone has security features in place to meet its GDPR requirements, one is to prevent you downloading the contents to a PC via USB without unlocking it, another is to reset the password ***** wiping the memory.

However...when the device was setup the samsung software should have got you to setup an account and create a automated backup (normally scheduled to run in the evening when on charge), so if you cant unlock the phone your really only left with a reset but with any luck we can restore it from a backup of the phone and thus reduce the amount of data you have lost, in addition depending on which service and provider your using for email etc your phonebook and calendar data may also be backup in the cloud.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Cheers! I bought the phone about a week ago, and the salesperson switched my data over and set it up so quickly, avoiding explanations, that I don't know exactly what he did. How do I find out whether I have a Samsung backup? I thought he said he'd backup to Google but none of my contacts are in my Google account so presumably that didn't happen?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
is there no possible way to reset the password/pattern without wiping the memory?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I haven't been able to find a website on Samsung that lets me try to log in to a backup account.

Give me a few mins to see if I can locate the site you cna use to verify if you have a backup, I can confirm you cant bypass the security pattern.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
cheers!

You should be able to login to the Samsung cloud and view your phone status using the link here.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Many thanks.

Is there anything else I can assist you with?

JamesI, Technician
Experience: I have provided on site support for a range of devices from media to telecoms.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok. all done now, tx