JamesI
JamesI, Technician
Experience:  I have provided on site support for a range of devices from media to telecoms.
75967336

I've got an 8 year old Panasonic DMR EX769 recorder, that

Hi, I've got an 8 year old Panasonic DMR EX769 recorder, that unfortunately ceased to function after a 'power surge' my area experienced a couple of weeks ago. I've got a great deal saved on the hard drive, that I meant to copy to disc. Foolishly I didn't.
Now for the question. I've just managed to find a tatty, but fully working, identical recorder without the remote. I've tested it for complete functionality using my existing remote, and all's fine.
As they're the same model, is it going to be OK to simply switch the hard drives, thus allowing me to get hold of my saved material.
Thanks in advance, with fingers crossed - Will

Hi, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

Panasonic apply DMR (digital rights management) so its unlikely it will work, from experience when you put the new disc in it will ask you to initialise, however I have heard of this being done before but that was more with content record via external sources eg from video cameras not recorded from Freeview.

To this end I dont think this will work, but do get back to me with specific error you get and can see if there is any workaround you can try.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Hi James, Thanks for your feedback regarding my problem.
I'm quite happy to try switching the hard drives. If it works, GREAT !, but if it doesn't, do I stand a chance of the donor drive being no longer recognised by the unit from which it was taken, i.e. the tatty, but working unit, which I managed to find, if I replaced the drive back again after the failed attempt to make the switch ? Would I end up with 2 non working units ???
Thanks for your input so far, and look forward to your response to this following question.
Cheers ***** *****
Will

No you wont end up with two non working units, if the data become corrupted for what ever reason it would just ask you to initialise the drive which would wipe all content and give you a fresh install again.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for your quick response James .... Excellent !
If the switch fails - fingers crossed - not, will re-initialising the donor require any 'disc format' Panasonic hardware to reformat the unit ?
Again thanks.
Will

No the firmware on both DVR will tell you if the drives are corrupted and give you an option to initialise them.

Is there anything else I can assist you with, if not please rate the response using the star rating at the top of this page.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for that James. A job for tomorrow, I'll get back to you and tell you how I got on. Again, Fingers Crossed.
Cheers ***** ***** and again, thanks !
Will

No problem will.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks Jamesl, I'll hopefully contact you again tomorrow and tell you how I got on.
Cheers, Will