Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

It has to do with inkjet in my Brother - hardly electronic

It has to do with inkjet in my Brother - hardly electronic but need help
JA: What's the brand and model of your printer?
Customer: MFC-490CW
JA: How long has this been going on with your printer?
Customer: It has worked perfectly well for 10 yeas two week ago I needed new cartrageds
JA: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?
Customer: half a year ago, but it was still a iMac as always
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: when I put in new cartridges two week ago it refused to print black I bought new ink, but nothing changed

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have done this before today - it did now work (I also did so two week ago when another set of carrtrages

Can you remove the ink from the printer then power it off.

then using a Q-Tip with cleaning alcohol (or warm water if you do not have any), clean out the areas where the ink goes in.

Then use a damp cloth and wipe down the inside of the printer.

Once done, let it dry for 10 minutes

Then put the ink back in, power it on and tell me if it then prints correctly please

This will also allow you to see if any foreign objects are in the printer which may cause this.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
wow, thank god, it works

You are welcome and thank you for allowing me to help you today. My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen then submit before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.