JamesI
JamesI, Technician
Experience:  I have provided on site support for a range of devices from media to telecoms.
75967336

I have a Dell 1520 laptop. On plugging the adaptor lead in

Good Afternoon. I have a Dell 1520 laptop. On plugging the adaptor lead in at the laptop yesterday, I heard a loud 'pop' and also got an electronic burning smell !! I immediately switched everything off, and checked power sockets etc. All okay. Today, when I switched on the laptop, I noticed that my Battery charge indicator was not operating, plus there was no illumination of the power light on the AC/DC Adapter. Changed the plug fuse. still no power light ! Am I right to assume that the Adapter or its lead may be at fault?? If so, is it possible to purchase a new adapter and lead?
JA: Is this happening with internal or external speakers?
Customer: With internal I presume. The problem, hopefully, is the power source to the laptop
JA: Did you try updating the sound driver on your laptop?
Customer: My problem is not a sound problem. Plus I only have limited power left in my battery
JA: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I am aware, thanks

Hi, thank you for choosing Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I will help with your query today.

I would agree that it does sound like the PSU has likely developed a fault in no light is showing on the adaptor and you have already checked the fuse.

Would you like me advise where you can source one?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please ! Got to be cheaper and less hassle than finding out my laptop is kaput!!

By in large you wouldnt get a faulty socket and also faulty PSU.

If you look on the label of the PSU does it say its a 65W or 90W output?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi James. The label on the PSU does not give a Wattage output. For Output it states: 19.5 V 4.62A
Dell Model: DA90PS 1-00 Dell P/N MM545 Ref.No.ADP-90 AH EA Make any sense?

Right 19.5V at 4.62 A is 90W.

You can buy a second hand one here for around £5

Is there anything else I can assist you with?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi James. Thanks for that. The model shown when I clicked on your ebay link was the wrong model, but I'll go on the website and source the correct one Thanks very much. Appreciated

Dont worry about the model it will be fine its the correct output for the laptop.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The reason I said it was wrong, was because the plug on the end that connects to my laptop is cylindrical and the one shown on ebay is square! Mine is circular with a small central pin.
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Hi James.On your recommendation I purchased a second hand PSU on ebay. Priblem solved. Many thanks