Eng. Andres
Eng. Andres, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Eng. Electronics Specialist. Circuit designer
54002000

What does it mean when my sharp lc-40le511e TV's power light

Customer Question

what does it mean when my sharp lc-40le511e TV's power light is flashing red and green?
JA: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: Sharp lc-40le511e - no idea how old it is sorry. Just got it off someone
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: It won't turn on. Black screen. Plug it in, red light. Try to turn it on at TV, (no remote yet,) and it starts blinking red then green then red then green etc
JA: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope, that's all I know
Category: Electronics
Expert:  *ElectronicsTech replied 12 days ago.
My name is***** am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.
I will be glad to assist you with this.
My goal is to give you the best experience possible!Unfortunately this sounds like either a bad inverter board or a bad power supply board. You can try a power reset.
When you power cycle a device, you are simply switching it on and off, while waiting a few minutes in-between. Sometimes, this is all it takes to get a device back to proper working order. While it may seem too easy, power cycling repairs minor issues such as short circuits, and overheating spells.
Follow these steps please.
Disconnect the TV power cord for 15 minutes then reconnect and check please.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi Randy. Ok so I bought this TV off someone else who just bought a new one when it stopped working, so, it's been unplugged for days! Is there a difference between removing the cord from the TV and unplugging it from the wall?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi Randy. Ok so I bought this TV off someone else who just bought a new one when it stopped working, so, it's been unplugged for days! Is there a difference between removing the cord from the TV and unplugging it from the wall? Also, I've got a little bit of electronics experience and I have checked both boards, (the back is currently off,) and both are visually in perfect condition.
No, that's the same.
Give me a few minutes to check on this a little further. The may be a reset we can try.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I left it there because I think the red, then gren, then back to red flashing is obviously a fault indicator pattern. I just kind find which fault it is anywhere - the online manual doesn't even have a troubleshooting section!!
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Oh actually - something that may be important is that the previous owners did not have a remote for some reason. They have possibly broken or lost it and then were just using the TV buttons. Somewhere along the line they might have given too many inputs and "crashed" over "overloaded" the TV and a simple reset is all that is needed. But again, I can't find out the specific reset for this model...

Try these steps please>

1. Unplug the television.
  2. Press and hold the "Channel Down" and "Input" buttons on the panel.
  3. Plug the television back in while holding down these buttons. ...
  4. Keep holding the buttons until the television powers back on. ...
  5. Use the remote to navigate the "Service Mode" menu and select "Factory Reset" from the menu.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I've tried that but I'll try it again in case I did it wrong. Oh wait no, I used channel down and volume up. I'll give it a go now thanks

ok

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
No there is no "input" button, just a "TV/AV" button so I tried it with that and nothing happened. I repeated the other way too and nothing. Not sure if it matters, but they are "touch" buttons that beep when you touch them, they're not actual mechanical in/out buttons.When plugged in it flashes green for a split second then goes red. It stays red until I press the on button on the TV, then it goes green, then flashes between red and green until I unplug it again. Nothing else happens.

There should be a fuse on the inverter board if you are comfortable with removing the back panel. Disconnect power and then remove the screws holding the back panel on and check the fuse.

>>>FUSE LOCATION IS ON THE IMAGE LINK BELOW<<<

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I've just put it all back together and it's 00:11 here now, I have to go to bed soon for work tomorrow! So do you mean that f7501 fuseto the right of the capacitors?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok, so you think that fuse might have gone? I don't have time to check it now, will have to do it tomorrow.
look at the capacitors real close as well if they are swollen on top that indicates they are bad.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Is it safe to touch that board though? Some of the components on the various boards literally have 250v written on them. I'm definitely not 100% about what I can and can't touch... I checked all the capacitors first, they're all fine. At first glance everything seems actually in condition.
Okay, visually inspect the capacitors.
You should be able to visually inspect the fuse also.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Ok thanks, I'll just have to recheck them tomorrow. What happens to this conversation?

This will remain open to you.

You can come back anytime.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Cool ok then, thanks. Bye for now!

Your welcome!

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Hi Randy, sorry I have not had time to do anything. Ok so I have taken the back off the TV again and attached 3 photos of the 3 boards. None look like the inverter board you sent me a picture of. I have also bought an original remote control for it but have not tested it as it is on my floor with the back off it right now.
Expert:  *ElectronicsTech replied 10 days ago.

okay, I haven't received the pics yet.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
It says they were uploaded fine? Ok, done them again.

okay, I got one.

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Not all 3?
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
As you can see, everything seems completely normal. I think it's one of two things:
1) They have overloaded the system because they had no remote so kept pressing the buttons, and therefore it simply needs a reset, so we need to find the right one.
2) It's the backlights. One of the LED strips is faulty.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
Ok I need to go to bed now, but I will be on earlier tomorrow evening. If it is midnight right now for me, what time GMT will you be on tomorrow evening? I think I will be able to get on a lot earlier, say 7 or 8 pm... Thanks.

yes, that sounds reasonable. i have a reset for the tv that requires remote. Ill send you the steps

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Expert:  *ElectronicsTech replied 9 days ago.
  1. While the LCD is on, unplug the power cable.
  2. Then while pressing the {INPUT} & {VOL -} buttons on the remote, plug the power cable back into the outlet.
  3. When it powers up you will see a little "k" appear in brackets.
  4. Then on the TV, press and hold {VOL -} & {CH -} down and release.
  5. The Service Menu will be displayed.

Use {CH+} {CH -} buttons to navigate, Use {VOL+} {VOL -} buttons to adjust the value.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok thanks I'll give that a go!

your welcome.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Wait, there is no "input" button - there is a "source" button which I assuming is the same thing?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Why does chat not update when I click send? I have to refresh to see new messages. Anyway, it didn't work.

okay. sorry about that. Let me check on this further and see if there is another reset.

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Ok thanks. Can you find out simply what error fault it is when the power light flashes between red and green on the lc-40le511e?
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Could it be that I can't see it going in to service mode, because it is indeed the backlights that are faulty?
That is possible. The way to check for that is to use a flashlight and see if the screen has an image.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
The pixels look completely dead. Don't think there's an image at all.
Expert:  *ElectronicsTech replied 8 days ago.

okay, that sounds like one of the boards has failed.