Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

I have a SubZero-100GB wireless pickup but can't use it with

I have a SubZero-100GB wireless pickup but can't use it with my acoustic guitar. Someone suggested this may be because it is conflicting with the battery in my guitar's pickup. Surely he can't be right, this appliance was designed for instruments with pickups and I would have expected a warning if it only works with some pickups.
JA: Who makes your appliance? How old is it?
Customer: I bought the pickup two or three months ago from Gear4Music in York. It works perfectly with my mandolin, which has a passive pickup but with the guitar there is a high-pitched whine through the speaker. The pickup is a Highlander.
JA: How long has this been going on with your York appliance? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It has been like this since I bought it. I did take it back with my equipment so they could try it but they couldn't think what the problem was. I tried plugging it into a passive DI box and connecting the DI box to the amp with a cable but got no signal at all. There is just the faintest chance the DI box has developed a fault but I haven't checked that yet.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can think of

Hi! My name is***** will be assisting you today.

If you already have a pickup fitted to the guitar then there may be a conflict.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Surely an instrument must have a pickup if it is to transmit via the wireless pickup. The same wireless pickup works perfectly on my mandolin, which also has a fitted pickup. There clearly is a conflict but my question was really to find out how can I get round the problem. Surely the designer of such a sophisticated gadget would have understood the potential for such a problem.

What brand and model of guitar are you using the SubZero pickup with?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is a hand-made guitar by Ralph Bown of York. This is a high-class instrument if that is relevant. I seem to remember he referred to the pickup as a Highlander but I don't know for certain. It has a battery, whereas my mandolin pickup doesn't. This may have something to do with the wireless pickup working with the mandolin but problematic with the guitar.

Not all wireless pickups will work with a Highlander pickup.

It can be combined with some active and passive pickups including 'magnetic sound hole pickups' and 'contact pickups'. It can also be used with a variety of microphones - is it an iP-2 pickup, like this one: http://www.highlanderpickups.com/catalog/ip2.htm

Pete, Engineer
Experience: Over 20 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.