Eng. Andres
Eng. Andres, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Eng. Electronics Specialist. Circuit designer
54002000

I have just bought a Toshiba 32’ smart tv and can’t connect

Customer Question

I have just bought a Toshiba 32’ smart tv and can’t connect it to our home WIFi, have tried doing it through first installation and initially the network didn’t even show up but now is - when I select the network and put the password ***** the TV switches off and goes back to the start of the installation process
Assistant: Is there a particular streaming service you're trying to connect to (e.g. Netflix or YouTube)?
Customer: Not particularly
Assistant: How is your Internet connection? Have you tried unplugging your modem and router, then plugging them back in?
Customer: Yes - working on all other devices and our 2 other Toshiba smart Tvs
Assistant: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just want to be able to connect the tv to the wifi
Category: Electronics
Expert:  *ElectronicsTech replied 5 days ago.

My name is***** am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.

I will be glad to assist you with this.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible!

I will be glad to assist you with this.

The best option will be to try power cycling the tv and your internet modem.

When you power cycle a device, you are simply switching it on and off, while waiting a few minutes in-between. Sometimes, this is all it takes to get a device back to proper working order.

If you power cycle your tv, and wireless router, you are eliminating these potential problems. Just by power cycling the router, you are allowing it to establish its connection to the TV without encountering the problem that prevented such a connection being made the first time.

Follow these steps please.

Disconnect the power cord from the TV. Then disconnect the power cord from the internet router /modem.

Then reconnect power to both, power on the tv and wait 5 minutes for them to completely power on and reboot. Then try the set up again.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I’ve tried that and it hasn’t worked - everytime I put the password ***** the WiFi in it switches the tv off then back on to to initial set up screen asking to select language and start the process again
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thank you for your help I decided to take the tv back to the shop as only bought it yesterday, they exchanged it and the new one has set up and linked to the WiFi immediately!
Expert:  *ElectronicsTech replied 4 days ago.
Thats great news!