Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

I am having issue installing the latest driver to my son's

Customer Question

Hello, I am having issue installing the latest driver to my son's Yamaha YPT-220 keyboard. I downloaded 64-bit driver into my Windows 10 x 64 pc. Connected the Midi out to USB and proceeded with the installation but it keeps on giving me an error 25001 (no device connected) . I went through all duggestions on the installation instructions to no avail.
JA: What's the brand and model of your computer?
Customer: It's a PC, which was custom-built (PC specialists.com)
JA: What have you tried so far with your computer?
Customer: Restarted post download Unplugged all USB (paart from mouse and keyboard)
JA: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I am wonderign whether I will need an adapter of some sort to complete this.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 5 days ago.

Hi! My name is Pete. I am the expert who will be assisting you today.

Expert:  Pete replied 5 days ago.

If you do need or want to install the Yamaha USB-MIDI driver, then first make sure you’ve uninstalled the failed installation. Furthermore, before you try to reinstall the driver you must make sure the keyboard is connected to your computer, is turned on, and is detected as a USB device. Go to the Apps page of your Settings and wait a minute or so for the list of installed apps to be populated, then scroll down until you see the Yamaha driver listed, click on it, and select uninstall.

You MUST also use a USB 2 cable, NOT a USB 3 cable. You can tell them apart based on the color inside the connector - USB 3 cables are blue inside.

The version of the driver that you choose— 32 or 64 bits— must match your operating system, so if you have a 64-bit OS then you must use the 64-bit driver.

You want to use the newest version for Windows 10, since that’s the version of Windows you have. (An older Windows 10 version might also work, but the newest version is always best in case there were any fixes that might have an impact.)

Install the driver while the keyboard is connected and turned on, and the driver should be able to find it.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi Pete, thank you for your response :
1. I do not seem to have any failed driver install to uninstall on my apps list (control panel > uninstall programs)
2. My USB is type 2
3. PC is running the latest Windows10 x 64 bits and
4. the driver is x Windows 64 bits
5. Device manager picks up the physical connection when I take the USB off and on (Listed under Sound, video and game controller)
5. Installing whilst the keyboard is connected and turned on
6. and still the driver install error message is "25001 - no device connected"

Any further suggestions please?
Thanks in advance
Doris
Expert:  Pete replied 5 days ago.

Hi Doris, the computer is not seeing the device for some reason.

Have you tried a different USB port on the computer?

Can you try connecting the device to a different computer?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Hi Pete,
My PC has 6 USB ports at the back and 2 at the front. I tried them all now. Unsuccessfully.
We only have one PC at home.
I have emailed both Tamaha and Playground sessions (piano learning software we are desperately trying to connect to) support. Awaiting for a reply. Let me know if you thing of anything else ? A small question : would you connect both MIDI out and In ends to the keyboard or just the out ? Thank you again. Doris
Expert:  Pete replied 3 days ago.

Hi Doris, you only need to connect to the MIDI OUT on the keyboard.

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
Hi Pete, I apologize for not being able to come back to you sooner. I work full-time and did not have the chance to dedicate attention to this problem before today. I also wanted to give Yamaha and Playground session a chance to reply to my emails. Playground session suggested to switch the MIDI plugs and try again, but it has also been unsuccessful. I have not heard from Yamaha to date.
Any other suggestions?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 day ago.

Hi Doris,

The next step is to try using a different computer or laptop.

Customer: replied 1 day ago.
I do not have an alternative computer or laptop. I do not even have a tablet. Playground session suggested checking that the Yamaha keyboard "Local Control" was on. Which Idid and it is. I also see form teh Yamaha User manaual that the Midi cable needed to be switched (I had the out end into to OUIT on teh keyboard) Then turn everything off. Then connect the MIDI cable to both keyboard and USB on teh PC, then turn power of keyboard On first, then my computer. I did , re-downloaded the driver, re-extracted it, and tried to re-install it... I am getting teh very same error message. My next step is to try to purchase a Yamaha MIDI cable (mine is a highly-rated cable bought on AMAZON but not a Yamaha one... how frustrating.
Expert:  Pete replied 21 hours ago.

If replacing the cable doesn't help either, then a local electronics store should be able to test the setup for you using one of their computers.