Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have a Pixma MG 3640 printer that I bought last year from

Customer Question

I have a Pixma MG 3640 printer that I bought last year from PC World Guildford. I have installed the correct Canon 540/ 541 printer ink cartridges before but with new ones, the printer is now printing a page with zig/ zag lines on it. Any ideas
JA: What's the model of your printer?
Customer: MG 3650
JA: Are you getting any error messages? Are you able to open the lid that covers the cartridges on your printer?
Customer: No error messages and I can open the cover for the cartridges. I have reinstalled the new cartridges a dozen times.+
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No can he fix it!!
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 18 days ago.

Thank you for your question, my name is Richard and I look forward to assisting you.

I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble with your printer. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Unplugged printer, turned on and printed sheet with same result
Expert:  Richard replied 18 days ago.

Can you remove the ink from the printer then power it off.

then using a Q-Tip with cleaning alcohol (or warm water if you do not have any), clean out the areas where the ink goes in.

Then use a damp cloth and wipe down the inside of the printer.

Once done, let it dry for 10 minutes

Then put the ink back in, power it on and tell me if it then prints correctly please

This will also allow you to see if any foreign objects are in the printer which may cause this.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
OK I will leave it for now. Thanks
Expert:  Richard replied 18 days ago.

Let me know how you go when you have had time to do my last instructions.