Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

Yesterday my windows live mail jammed up showed an error

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: yesterday my windows live mail jammed up showed an error message i didnt understand, i closed down the computer a few times but the error message kept coming back in frustration I uninstalled live mail but now cannot re install
JA: Who is your email provider (Gmail, Yahoo, Outlook, etc.)?
Customer: plusnet
JA: How do you usually access your email? On a phone or tablet, or through a web browser?
Customer: on my laptop
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: tried something on line Repro something also re set PC
JA: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: not really I have not backed up this computer so hoping not to loose emails

Hi there and welcome to Just Answer, my name is Richard and I look forward to helping you.

I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

To reinstall windows live go to start, control panel, uninstall a program, then under windows features you can enable i there again to install it.

Let me know please how you go.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
where is "windows features" on uninstalled list??

On the left of the window there.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I am good with a call at sometime soon but if i just say, in that features box there is no "Live mail" reference
there are 7 Windows programmes i don`t understand what they mean
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Essentials installed, so a box has come up saying sign up to Microsoft account do i have to do that wasn`t signed in before

No you do not, you can skip it.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
next box says sign in to windows live messenger i presume I sign in to that ???

No you skip that and add your email account in live please via File, email

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
sorry missed that "add your email account" in live ? via File, email, what file ?

File in windows live please, or the down arrow top left if you do not see it.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
so i have found window live mail but cannot open it, it says run as administrator, is that what i do

Right click the icon and choose run as administrator please.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
does that take long, i can hear the computer whirring

not normally, did you add the email account yet?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
no i couldnt open windows live

Restart your computer and try to open it please.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
so one box is starting window live mail 2012 and another box says windows live mail cannot be started. was unable to open message store. was unable to locate message database. if you moved database location click ok . click cancel to proceed to data from orphaned account I clicked ok when I first had trouble with email yesterday
do i click cancel

yes, then try to open it

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
next box says cannot start. was unable to open live message store, your computer may be out of memory or disk is full (0x8000FFFF.1400)
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
then has click ok

I want to do a system restore please which does not touch your files but returns the drivers before the issue

To do this, close all programs.

Press the windows key (the one to the left of the left ALT key) + R and type in the run box that opens

rstrui

Press enter

Then follow the onscreen steps to choose a system restore and choose a date before this problem occurred.

Let it complete, it can take up to an hour, but it will complete or error if it fails.

Once it has completed, tell me if it now functions correctly please

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi Richard my computer is still restoring but it would not let me change restoring date just said before 14th Feb

You should see a check box for more restore dates to be shown. But you need to let it now complete.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Now restored but windows live mail missing and windows essential should I restore again to different date

yes please

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
So I've got to restore files and setting says choose restore point then it has 14th Feb 8.40 and 14th Feb 10.04 but won't let me change those two dates or add another call send you a WhatsApp photo if you want

its ok, try to install Windows live again please.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Having difficulty accessing our messages on computer to download that link have log into just answer but cannot get our messages
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
loaded window essential, have not restarted but same error boxes relating to data storage etc come up

Try to restart now please.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
so its reloaded but same error messages re data storage and wont go further
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
is there another way to restore computer to force a different date

ok, than do the following please

Click start, type in CMD and right click on command prompt and select run as administrator

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.

Then tell me if it opens please.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Richard the computer has restarted windows live mail shows in start box

ok, is it now functioning?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
no the live messenger storage has come back

ok, we will need to either reinstall windows or you could use a free alternative Thunderbird which you can get here

https://www.thunderbird.net/

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
is that reinstalling that link you sent me, be quite honest can use windows live but dont get on with changes

No it is a different program

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
whatever is easier would be best

Using thunderbird for you would be

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Ill try reloading windows again if doesnt work this time will use thunderbird

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Windows no am loading thunderbird

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thunderbird has loaded i presume i have lost all previous emails

It depends where they were stored, you will see when you add the account.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
have added my account/email address and have recent emails

ok, these are all the emails available, even with windows mail working you still would not have had them sorry.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
ok thanks for that, will have to live with the problem, if i had backed up this computer would it have helped also i have McAfee security and computer checks why did not spot an error

They only check for viruses not issues like this, which is why backups are always important.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
do you think the "C" drive was corrupted ? dont want to waste your time, how much do I owe ? Thanks again for help. Do you have a link i can stick on my computer in case need advice again in the future, noticed you have lawyers in my line of work some professional may come in handy (building trade)

No, the windows mail database, not C drive, and not now after the repair we did.

You can always come to www.justanswer.com and post a question, this is no problem.

Payments are all done but please if you wish you can review me at the top of the screen.

BTW, Thunderbird is more stable the windows mail.