Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have a Panasonic phone, KX-TG8161E. Recently, when I try

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: I have a Panasonic phone, KX-TG8161E. Recently, when I try to call someone there is no dialling tone on the phone and it then cuts out. What is causing it. The phone is about 9 years old and has the original 1.2v Panasonic batteries which seem to re-charge ok. Could the problem be that it requires new batteries or is it something else?
JA: What Panasonic model do you have?
Customer: I have just given it to you!
JA: How long has this been going on with your Panasonic phone? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Only happened in the last two weeks. Has always worked fine until then. As I said, the two batteries appear to be fully charged. I have re-dialled each time but the same problem occurs.
JA: Anything else you want the Phone Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have spare 1.5v Duracell batteries but am reluctant to use them as the Panasonic batteries in the phone are 1.2v.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 18 days ago.

Hi there and welcome to Just Answer, my name is Richard and I look forward to helping you.

I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble with your phone. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Please remove the power to the base unit and the batteries from the handset
Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power to the base unit, put the batteries in the handset and tell me if it then functions correctly.
Please let me know the results

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I have done that so will wait 10 mins
Expert:  Richard replied 18 days ago.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Another 5 mins
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
How do I get rid of the Call Me box. I don't want to pay £16!
Expert:  Richard replied 18 days ago.

you can ignore it please

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I have replaced the batteries and powered the phone. Waiting a few mins while it charges then will try calling a friend
Expert:  Richard replied 18 days ago.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
The service appears to be forcing me to use a telephone call but I don't want to pay £16. When I signed up for £5 I thought I'd get a tel call. It was not made clear that I'd only get an email response!
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
The phone is still charging.
Expert:  Richard replied 18 days ago.

You are referring to a service the website offers, which being optional, can be ignored if you do not wish to use it.

Please ignore it and reply here to my last instructions I sent you please

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
The phone has been charging for 15 mins. At the moment only 1 green bar is showing. How long should it take to fully charge? Could that be the problem?
Expert:  Richard replied 18 days ago.

yes, it can take up to an hour to charge.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Can you wait that long?! Once fully charged I plan to make a call to see if your instructions work.
Expert:  Richard replied 18 days ago.

yes it is ok

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Ok. Will write again in about 45 mins
Expert:  Richard replied 18 days ago.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
The phone is still charging but only one green bar is showing. Does this mean the re-chargeable batteries need replacing or is there another problem?
Expert:  Richard replied 18 days ago.

It can be the batteries, but it should now be enough to try to make a call please.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
OK will try calling someone.
Expert:  Richard replied 18 days ago.

thanks

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Tried calling a friend 5 times. You get the initial peeps but then no dialling tone and the phone cuts out.
Expert:  Richard replied 18 days ago.

Who is your phone provider?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Plusnet
Expert:  Richard replied 18 days ago.

Remove the power to the plusnet box the phone connects to.

Wait 5 minutes.

Connect the power and try to make a call.

Let me know how you go please

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Ok
Expert:  Richard replied 18 days ago.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
It hasn't worked.
Expert:  Richard replied 18 days ago.

ok, you will then need to please call plusnet on 0345 140 0200

And have them run a line check on your service.

Let me know how you go please.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
ok
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I have called their technical support line but owing to the volume of calls there is a 20min wait time. Will contact you again once I've got through.
Expert:  Richard replied 18 days ago.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Plusnet have run several tests on the line and there's no problem with it.
Expert:  Richard replied 18 days ago.

I am sorry to hear that.

It is the phone system that has faulted.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the phones to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
The guy at Plusnet said that most phones only last about 5 years. This one is 9 years old so may have come to the end. Way outside the guarantee period. One last thought. Could it possible be the re-chargeable batteries? They are the same age as the phone. I tried charging them at the start of our exchange but after 1 hour only 1 green bar was showing. Is that a problem with the batteries or the phone charger?
Expert:  Richard replied 18 days ago.

Thats a battery issue but not the cause of this problem.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
If I understand you correctly the phone has died on me and I need a new one?
Expert:  Richard replied 18 days ago.

Correct

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Ok. Ironic that when most of us are "self-isolating" and rely on our phones more than usual mine should have decided to throw in the towel. Anyway, thank you for your help.
Expert:  Richard replied 18 days ago.

You are most welcome