Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

Despite charging up my tascam for hours, it keeps turning

Customer Question

Hi there, despite charging up my tascam for hours, it keeps turning itself off
JA: What's the brand and model of your instrument?
Customer: Tascam DR-100MKIII
JA: How long has this been going on with your instrument? What have you tried so far?
Customer: It's been happening since i got it a few days ago. It's been used successfully before, I'm borrowing it from work. I've tried changing battery priority from Lithium (which says zero charge) to AA batteries, charging with computer and plugged in to electric socket. Still keeps turning off every few seconds
JA: Anything else you want the Instrument Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I can't connect to my computer even when I set to USB storage. My computer isn't recognising the tascam
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 11 days ago.

Hi! My name is Pete. I am the expert who will be assisting you today.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi Pete, what do you suggest to fix the power and file sharing issues? Thanks, Laura
Expert:  Pete replied 11 days ago.

Hi Laura,

If the Tascam DR-100MKIII will not stay powered on after charging for hours then the batteries may need replacing,

Let me know what type of computer you are using (e.g. Windows 10 laptop, Apple iMac, etc) so i can assist you further with the computer not recognising the Tascam.

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Windows 10 laptop.
Could it be that I need an ac adaptor to charge up? Only got a usb charger. Thanks
Expert:  Pete replied 11 days ago.

The Tascam uses a built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery which you can charge using either USB or an AC adapter. The orange charge light should come on when it is charging and go out when charging is complete.

You can also try fitting standard (non-rechargeable) AA batteries to it.

Here is the full user guide: https://www.tascam.eu/en/docs/DR-100MKIII_RM.pdf

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Ok thanks. Do you have advice re computer issue?
Expert:  Pete replied 11 days ago.

If connecting to a laptop, ensure you have the power cord connected to it, otherwise there may not be enough power getting to the USB port to detect the Tascam.

If it still won't work, try connecting to a different USB port or try connecting to a different computer, ideally a desktop.