Eng. Andres
Eng. Andres, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Eng. Electronics Specialist. Circuit designer
54002000

My Sky channels have stopped working. A notice comes up

Customer Question

My Sky channels have stopped working . A notice comes up saying my viewing card is not authorised. I suspect this is because I applied for a Q box but engineer could not fit it because of difficult access to Dish. Sky had provided a new HD box using my viewing card which has been working fine till now . My full payments are being made . Now do not get Sky channels but I do get terrestrial channels
JA: What's the brand and model number of your TV? How old is it?
Customer: LG 4 years
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: Yes the menu works just checking other inputs
JA: How long has this been an issue with your LG? What happened right before this?
Customer: My Premier sport does not work and same message comes up. This has been an issue only yesterday
JA: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I do not thinks so the sky HD box that sky provided at Xmas has been great after my old HD box stopped working in November
Category: Electronics
Expert:  *ElectronicsTech replied 15 days ago.
  • Hi,

My name is Randy, I am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.

I will be glad to assist you with this.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible!

Follow theses steps please>

Firstly, try resetting your sky box with a simple reboot. To do this switch off the Sky Box directly from the mains and do this for all connected devices (this may include your internet router). Ensure that the lights on your box has completely disappeared this is s signal the box has no power. Leave the box for a couple of minutes then turn the box back on at the mains. If the reboot was successful the light on your Sky Box will be green and the Sky Welcome channel will appear on screen.

Update the software on your box

If resetting your box didn't work, try updating the software on your box:

• Press the standby button on your remote, then turn your box off at the mains.
  • Press and hold the backup button on your box.
  • While still holding the backup button, switch your box back on at the mains.
  • Keep pressing and holding the backup button for up to 30 seconds, until you see all four lights on the front panel turn on, then release.

If the lights don't appear, you may need to schedule an engineer visit to have your box repaired.

If the lights do appear, go to the next steps.

Your box should now be in download mode, which can take between 5 to 10 minutes to complete. Don't turn off your box or try to watch TV while the box is in download mode. You may see an on-screen message saying "Updating System Software" when you switch on your TV.

Once the download is done, the box will switch to standby. Wait 3 minutes. then press sky on your remote to turn your box back on.

Check the Service Status page

The Service Status page will be able to tell you if there are any outages in your area. Sign in with your Sky iD and you’ll find all the information you need.

Check your Sky remote

If the signal strength from your Sky remote isn’t strong enough, the batteries could need replacing. If you’ve reset the box but your still seeing problems it could be an issue with your remote.

Check the weather

If your Sky TV is not working because of bad weather, this is because wind, rain, or other conditions will be affecting your TV’s satellite signal. Wait for the bad weather to pass. In the meantime, you can still enjoy your favourite shows on Sky Go, on demand or watch any recordings you’ve saved to your Planner.