Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have a problem with my LG OLED55C8PLA TV. Purchased Nov

Hi Pearl, I have a problem with my LG OLED55C8PLA TV.
JA: How old is your OLED55C8PLA?
Customer: Purchased Nov 2018
JA: Does the TV menu work? Do you have the same problem on all sources/inputs?
Customer: It won't switch on. Standby light is steady. I've checked the remote. R101 (relay) activates when attempting to switch on, then goes back off after ~3 seconds. No activity on the screen.
JA: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I uploaded a video to show the exact issue I'm having: https://youtu.be/Q8qPuRK2TBM

Hi there and welcome to Just Answer, my name is Richard and I look forward to helping you.

I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble with your TV. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the TV (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the TV, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Thanks Richard. This problem first occurred the day before. I removed it from its wall bracket and laid it down then it went away.
It happened again around 12 hours later, disconnecting didn't help this time.
Unplugged for 8 hours (overnight), no change.

Can you disconnect everything from the TV, so cable box, Bluray player, Antenna ect

Then connect only the power, power it on and tell me how it then functions please

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
That was first course of action. No change.
Have you managed to watch the video?

I am sorry to hear that.

It is the internal mainboard as the most common cause that has faulted with these symtoms.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the TV to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok Richard, thanks for letting me know. Unfortunately it's three months out of warranty!
I'm just concerned that it's actually the power or a sub PCB that has failed.
I'm concerned about replacing the main PCB and it not fixing the issue.

I understand, what is your location?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Oxford, UK.

You can call the TV repair center on 01865 920800

They can then come and test each component, it is nearly always the mainboard but this needs to be ruled out to see if the power board is the issue, which from your symptoms it does not look like being.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Excellent. Thank you for the advice Richard.

You are welcome