Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

Trying t reinstall Mac OS on an old MacBook but keeps

Hi, trying t reinstall Mac OS on an old MacBook but keeps failing. Wondering if you'd be able to help?
JA: How long have you had your MacBook?
Customer: 10 years I think
JA: What have you tried so far with your Apple product?
Customer: tried reinstalling high Sierra and it says its failed, then tried to run 'first aid' o the Mac OS and it says process as failed
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: think thats all thanks

Hi there and welcome to Just Answer, my name is Richard and I look forward to helping you.

I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Power off the mac

Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.

Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window

choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.

Click the First Aid tab.

Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").

Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi, many thanks. SO when I click disk utility on the left there is 'internal' and 'disk images', which do I click firstaid for?

You click on Macintosh HD

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
thanks, I see 'internal' > Toshiba MK255 > 'Mac OS' ran First Aid on this and says 'first aid process has failed. if possible back up the data on this value. Click done to continue'

ok,

Shut down your Mac.

Find Command (⌘), Option, P, and R on your keyboard.

Turn on your Mac.

Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys immediately after you hear the startup sound.

Hold these keys until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for a second time.

Release the keys.

Then try to run it again please

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thanks so when I do this, it then comes up with the 'Installing on "Mac OS" screen as its trying to reinstall High Sierra. This was what failed to install originally.

Let me know if it now installs please

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
'macOS could not be installed on your computer file system verify or repair failed quit the installer to restart your computer or try again'

You got this error now?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Yes, after doing this:

Shut down your Mac.
Turn on your Mac.

It then started reinstalling Mac OS and I got the error: 'macOS could not be installed on your computer file system verify or repair failed quit the installer to restart your computer or try again'

Are you trying to install from an install disk?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
No I do not have a disk. Its an old MacBook not used in a while. Just trying to reinstall Mac OS. there are no files or anything I want on it. just want a completely clean start

Shut down your Mac.

Turn on your Mac.

Release the keys.

Then try to install please

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thanks, done that and got the same error message

It is then the install partition, you will need to try to install it from a disk instead, do you have one there?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I do not no I'm afraid. Is there no way of installing?

Which Mac version are you trying to install?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Mac OS High Sierra I believe. Its just the one that came with it? Don't care which one is installed if there is an easier/better way of installing another version that will run?

Ok you are best to purchase it from here

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mac-OS-X-HIGH-SIERRA-10-13-6-on-a-Kingston-16Gb-USB2-drive/143410168971?hash=item2163e9848b:g:yuoAAOSwX85dbVxh

Then try to install it from the disk instead please.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
ok thanks, will do if this is the only option

It is sorry