Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

We have to update our wifi from BT and therefore we need to

We have to update our wifi from BT and therefore we need to enter a password ***** we have. however we are having trouble with our Ipad when we have entered our password ***** comes out with Authentication problem. Can you advise us.
JA: When did you last change your Wi-Fi password?
Customer: No idea as this ipad was a present.
JA: Have you connected to this Wi-Fi network from a laptop or desktop (either Mac or PC) in the past?
Customer: No idea.
JA: Anything else you want the Network Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No because I have updated my lap top and two mobile phones with the new password, its only this ipad that we are having trouble with.

Hi there and welcome to Just Answer, my name is Richard and I look forward to helping you.

I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Can you please look on your Wifi router as the password is normally printed on a label on this as wireless key or similar.

Please use this as the password

Let me know please how you go

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
We entered password already and its come up with authentication problem.

Can you please remove the power to the wifi router (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the wifi router, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
no

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I have done that.

What were the results?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I was able to enter the password from BT router, but it comes back with failed to connect to network.

On the back of the router is a reset button, please push and hold it in for 5 seconds then release.

Wait 5 minutes then try to connect please.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Its the same failed to connect to network

on the iPad go to settings, general, reset, reset network settings

Then try to connect please.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Where about on the settings is general?

when you select general you see it in the list there that opens

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
There is no general on the settings. There is wireless and network, device, personal and systems

This does not sound like an iPad, which you initially indicated has the issue

What device is this?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
it is TAB3 7 Essential

ok, that's an Android, not iPad, thanks

Does it still say Authentication failed?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
No it says failed to connect to network after I have entered the password.

Can you please hold the power button on the tablet until you see a menu and choose power off.

Then power on the tablet and tell me if it now connects.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Now we are back to where we started authentication problem.

ok, that is referring to an incorrect password, please carefully read and type it in and note capitals need to be used if it has capitals in the password.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Well that has worked, I am 100% sure I have been typing the same password all this time and double checking it by letting me show the password etc.
Its not even my tablet, but my wife's.
Thank you very much Richard, stay safe.

You are welcome and all the best.