Eng. Andres
Eng. Andres, Engineer
Experience:  Electronic Eng. Electronics Specialist. Circuit designer
54002000

I have Epson. Prints showing that black ink needs changing.

Customer Question

I have Epson. Prints showing that black ink needs changing. I've forgotten how to do it!
JA: What Epson model do you have?
Customer: SX235
JA: How long has this been going on with your Epson printer?
Customer: Just recently. Just needs ink, but I forgotten how to do it. Just give me a gentle nudge: I'm a very old man!
JA: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?
Customer: I have not consciously done so. But is that necessary? I just click on the printers and faxes icon, but it does not tell me how to change the ink!
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Electronics
Expert:  *ElectronicsTech replied 16 days ago.
My name is***** am sorry to hear that you are having this issue.
I will be glad to assist you with this.
My goal is to give you the best experience possible!
Follow these steps please>
* Replacing an Epson Stylus SX235W ink cartridge1. Lift the scanner part of the printer to expose the print head, the moving part of the printer that holds the ink cartridges.
Important: Don’t touch the print head or the white ribbon, and wait until the print head has stopped moving before continuing.2. Press the stop button. This is the button with an upside down triangle in a circle at the far right of the control panel.3. Now you should be able to see if one cartridge is empty. Continue to press the button to check each cartridge in turn. You can also do this step on your computer. Epson Status Monitor (called the Epson Status Monitor 3 in Windows) will show you which cartridges are low or out.4. Take the new replacement cartridge and shake it four or five times while it is still in the packaging.5. Remove the cartridge from the packaging.6. Remove only the yellow tab from the new cartridge.Take care not to remove any other pieces from the cartridge. And don’t touch the green chip. If you do, it may cause the cartridge to malfunction.7. Returning to the printer, pinch the empty cartridge between your fingers to release the plastic tab at the back.8. Pull the cartridge straight up to remove it. Put the old cartridge in a suitable container for recycling later.9. Slot the new, unwrapped cartridge into the space. Press down until it clicks into place.10. Repeat this until all the empty cartridges are replaced.If at any point you get ink on your skin, you can wash it off with soap and water. If it gets into your eyes, thoroughly flush your eyes with water, and seek medical help if your eyes continue to feel irritated after rinsing. If ink gets into your mouth, spit out what you can and seek medical advice straight away.11. Close the printer.12. Press the stop button. This will start the 2-5 minute process of charging the ink. The power light will start flashing, and while the printer is doing this, do not turn of or unplug the machine.13. When the power light stops flashing and remains on, the installation will be complete.In summary, here’s how to replace an Epson Stylus SX235W ink cartridge:Lift scanner to expose printer head
Press stop button
Remove yellow tab from new cartridge
Place new ink cartridge in printer and hold until it clicks into place
Close printer and press stop button to charge the ink