Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

I have Microsoft office 365. It has suddenly greyed out my

I have Microsoft office 365. It has suddenly greyed out my use of "page numbers" in the word processing section. How can that be fixed. Thank you.
JA: What application are you using?
Customer: I don't understand what "application" means. Sorry.
JA: Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I think the machine did that the other day. Always causes no end of problems after.
JA: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: think that's all. thank you.

Hi! My name is***** am the expert who will be assisting you today.

If the page numbers are in the header or footer area then they will be greyed out when you're working on the main body of your document.

To edit the page numbers section, you will need to make that area of your document active first.

Please let me know if you have any further questions on this topic and I'll be more than happy to help.

Have a good weekend and stay safe,

Pete.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I mean I cannot put page numbers into my document because the section which assigns page numbers is greyed out, ie, when I go to Insert, header- footer- page numbers, the last bit, page numbers is not live so page numbers cannot be added to the document. The document is saved. I want to add page numbers to it.

Is the document in Read-Only mode?

Can you edit other parts of the document?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No it is not in read only. It is a working document. Thank you.

Can you edit other parts of the document ok?

Page numbers in Word are straight-forward fields, so you don't need to click on the Page Numbers icon to add them.

Try adding page numbers using the following method instead: you can insert a Page Number field by pressing Alt+Shift+P.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
sorry I've been interrupted. Ive managed to get a header and page numbers since your last comment inspired me to go back and try again. The page number line is still greyed out but the whole section shifted to sit under File on the menu bar. So im puzzled but its sort of working. And thank you for your help. xxxx

Glad to hear it worked!

You are very welcome :)

Have a good weekend and stay safe,

Pete.