Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have a canon printer MB2350 which has been brilliant.Model

Customer Question

I have a canon printer MB2350 which has been brilliant.Model 9488B))8AA Serial; No ADSS04614
JA: What kind of computer or device are you printing from?
Customer: I have just given the details above. It no longer works satisfactorily. Sometimes no text is printed or lines are smudged or not printed art all. My concern is whether my Apple computer upgrades have made it incompatible. My Apple OC 10.15.5
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: safari is 13.1.1 Apple OS is 15.5.5
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble with your printer. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Correction my MAC OS is 10.15.5I did exactly what you said. Two pages printed correctly but several others had lines missing or smudged. Same problem as before. I did not try colour printing.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Can you remove the ink from the printer then power it off.

then using a Q-Tip with cleaning alcohol (or warm water if you do not have any), clean out the areas where the ink goes in.

Then use a damp cloth and wipe down the inside of the printer.

Once done, let it dry for 10 minutes

Then put the ink back in, power it on and tell me if it then prints correctly please

This will also allow you to see if any foreign objects are in the printer which may cause this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i fear I might be wasting time. my printer is about 5 years old and may no longer be compatible with the latest Apple software.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Once done, let it dry for 10 minutes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am not sure I can remove the ink capsules and put them back later. It seems more likely that I will need a complete replacement set of inks with no certainty that your recommendation will work.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok.. can you try to do my instructions first please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i am still waiting
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

For what sorry? I need you to do the instructions I gave you..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The notes on the printer warn against reinstalling an ink that has been removed. Reinstalling a partly used ink could damage the printer.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

You have to do this step please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I cannot do it. I cannot see how to remove ink capsules that are not empty.
But please can you check and let me know whether the problem is compatibility. I had this problem years ago when upgrades of the computer meant that the printer was not compatible and did not work. One canon website said the printer worked with earlier MAC OS systems but did not mention later ones.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

No the issue is not due to compatibility.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
to be clear, you are saying that this printer should work with my MAC Book with OS 10.15.5?
If so, and if you want me to do what you suggest, how to I get the ink capsules out?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

yes that is correct

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I repeat. How do I remove ink capsules that are not empty?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Please follow the steps here to remove the ink cartridge

https://ugp01.c-ij.com/ij/webmanual/Manual/W/MB2300%20series/EN/BG/bg-ink1000.html

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have followed the guidance - cleaned and then deep cleaned the printer. They strongly advise AGAINST removing and replacing inks. The next step recommended is switch off for 24 hours then deep clean again. If that doesn't work it is likely the nozzles are damaged in some way and repair will be necessary.Thank you for trying to help
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome