Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have taken mt Giffgaff SIM from my J5 and put it inro my

Customer Question

I have taken mt Giffgaff SIM from my J5 and put it inro my new S20. The old phone still works without the SIM but the new one doesnt
JA: Who is your current wireless carrier?
Customer: I think it;s O2
JA: Was your SIM card activated with your carrier? Is there a reason they might have deactivated it?
Customer: What do you mean by carrier
JA: The Smartphone Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Smartphone Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.
I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.
Can you please hold the power button on the phone until you see a menu and choose power off.
Then power on the phone and tell me how it still has the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the message comes up Not registered on the network
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

With the Sim card into the phone, go to settings, search for reset and choose reset network settings.

Tell me if it then gets online please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Can you put a different SIM card into the phone and tell me if that phones works please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't got one
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

You will then need to reset the phone, this will remove all data and return it to new, so first,

Please follow the steps here to backup

https://www.pcworld.com/article/248984/how-to-back-up-your-android-phone.html

Once all data is backed up (make sure it is to avoid losing your data), then please go to settings, search at the top for Factory Reset and select it.

Complete the reset, then setup the phone again and once done, tell me if it now functions correctly.

Let me know the results please.