Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

My sky box has stopped working. It an old style box fron the

Customer Question

Hello, my sky box has stopped working. It an old style box fron the 80's with a viewing card several months ago we started having problems with it, such as switching itself off. only working intermittantley Now it will not come onat all, just showing a constant red light.,,,any suggestions? Thank You.
JA: What device is not powering up?
Customer: just my sky box. tv ok but only basic DVB
JA: Is your TV connected to a surge protector or power strip?
Customer: I'm not very tech savvy. sorry. as far as I know tv installer set everything up when we had the tv. but again the tv is about 20yrs old..not a smart tv but seems to be working ok.
JA: Have you tried to power reset your TV (unplugging the power for 1-2 minutes, then plugging it back in)?
Customer: Yes, I tried that in the beginning, but after a while the sky went back into standby mode (red light) and switched itself off. Sky hasn't been working properly for many months.
JA: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Not that I can think of Than You.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble with your Skybox. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the Skybox (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the Skybox, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Richard. I have unplugged and replugged in my Sky box...No change the red standby button came on but I can't get things working. I have replaced the batteries in the sky remote, and the red light on that is ok. Sky just doesn't want to work.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear that.

It is the Skybox that has faulted.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the box to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.