Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

New iPhone 7. Trying to migrate all from old iPhone SE but

Customer Question

New iPhone 7. Trying to migrate all from old iPhone SE but new phone won't join my wifi
JA: What's the brand/model and Operating System (OS) of your smartphone?
Customer: So13.4
JA: How long has this been going on with your smartphone? What have you tried so far?
Customer: my new iPhone 7 won't accept my wifi so I can't compete migration from my old iphone
JA: Anything else you want the Smartphone Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: When phone setting up it asks me to type in details of my Wifi maybe I'm putting in wrong details. Help please.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Can you please remove the power to your wifi router, wait 5 minutes, connect the power and tell me if the phone then connects to wifi please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
iPhone 7 iOS 13plus
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wifi back on now
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I misunderstood you when I said wifi back on I meant that I had reconnected it after it had been off for 5 minutes. new phone still not connecting.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

What is the message it now gives?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could not find the network VM4669713
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

You do not see your wireless network at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No but two iPads and old iPhone are connected. That’s why I think I may be inputting the wrong information. It asks me for name, security and password.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I’d prefer not to spend the extra £16 on top of the £5 already paid.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

You go to settings, then wifi and select your wifi network from there please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I e gone to settings and opened my wifi
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Richard, do you think you'll be able to help me?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

I am trying, still waiting for you to do the last instructions and report back on the results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Richard I don't know what you mean. You asked me to go to settings and open my wifi which I did and replied to you that I'd done what you asked.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

My instructions were go to settings, then wifi and select your wifi network from there please

Once done try to use the phone

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You must be as fed up as me but if I read you correctly you are asking me to go to settings on my NEW phone ?? Can’t do this as I was in the middle of migrating to the new phone when it asked me to input my WiFi info which was when it said it could not find the network VM4669713
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

ok, but then you now reply it does not see it at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
could not find the network VM.. etc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would normally go to an Apple shop with this sort of problem but I’m 77 and isolating and the shops are closed until 15th June.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hol the volume down and power buttons on the phone please until you see the apple logo then release.

Let the phone restart and then try to connect it to wifi please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Choices are chose another network or connect toMac or Pc neither of which I have
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

What is the make and model of your wifi router?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hun 3.0. VMDG505:TG2492LG-VM
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I fat fingered HUB 3.0
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

On the back of it is a reset button, please push this in for 5 seconds then release.

Wait 5 minutes then try to connect the iPhone please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did what you asked re the reset button and sent you a reply which doesn’t appear in our dialogue above maybe it does at your end. If not please tell me and I will type it again.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

No it is not showing

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did what you asked re the reset button and new iPhone now asking me to input network information.
Name
Security
Password
This is where I think the problem maybe so can you please tell me what I should be putting for network name is it the VM4669713?
Password- is it the WiFi password ***** on the bottom of the router?
The security line is filled in already. Sorry to be such a pain!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I’ve re sent.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

You do not enter it in, you select your wifi network from the list please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No list like on my Old iPhone or my iPad.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant No list like there is on my old iPhone and iPad
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear that.

It is the internal wifi antenna in the phone that has faulted then.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the phone to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I’m so sorry Richard but thank you for trying to help me. Best wishes, Milly Hodgson.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome Milly

All the best