Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I'm getting Error code 5B00 on my Canon MP480 printer. Can

Hi, I'm getting Error code 5B00 on my Canon MP480 printer. Can you tell me how to fix this please. Thanks. Rob
JA: Is your MP480 displaying the error on all print jobs, even after you restart it?
Customer: Yes, displays it at switch on after print head has done initial shuffle
JA: When did you last update the printer driver software?
Customer: Not for quite a long time
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't think so

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble with your printer. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Richard, I'll try that and come back to you. Rob

Thank you Rob

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have my mobile with me at present

It is not needed for the instructions rob

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard, Just turned back on after 10 mins but it's still displaying the same error and doesn't print

Can you remove the ink from the printer then power it off.

then using a Q-Tip with cleaning alcohol (or warm water if you do not have any), clean out the areas where the ink goes in.

Then use a damp cloth and wipe down the inside of the printer.

Once done, let it dry for 10 minutes

Then put the ink back in, power it on and tell me if it then prints correctly please

This will also allow you to see if any foreign objects are in the printer which may cause this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK, just trying that

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard, I've cleaned it as much as I can and checked for foreign objects but problem is exactly the same

Can you replace the ink cartridges and tell me if that clears it please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok - just trying that

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry, still no change

I am sorry to hear that.

It is the printhead that has faulted.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the printer to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK Richard, thanks for trying, It's probably 5 yrs old so out of warranty. Looks like I may need to replace it.

You are welcome