Viet - Technician
Viet - Technician, Technician
Experience:  Electronics Tech. Troubleshoot consumer electronics devices.
30037186

My aunt has given me her Toshiba laptop but unable to

Hi, my aunt has given me her Toshiba laptop but unable to remember her password. When I press on the option to reset password ***** comes up with the following message: This feature requires a removeable media, such as a floppy disk or USB flash drive. Please insert a floppy disk or connect a USB flash drive, and then try again.
JA: What's the model and Operating System (OS) of your Toshiba?
Customer: I'm not computer savvy so not sure what you mean, really sorry. On the right hand side it has a silver label saying Toshiba Leading Innovation, it also has Windows 7 Professional if that helps?
JA: What have you tried so far with your Toshiba? Have you installed any updates recently?
Customer: I've looked at the bottom and it shows Toshiba Satelite L655-177 System Unit. Sorry pressed wrong button. I've tried every single combination of her passwords that she has given me. I did gain access the other day using 1 of the passwords but it now does'nt work.
JA: Anything else you want the Computer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is there a charge for this??

I'm sorry about your issue. I'm glad to assist you today. When you shut down / restart your Toshiba laptop, does it show Windows 7 or Windows 8 or Windows 10, etc. on the laptop's screen?

Please reply at the box below, then click on the Send button below. Thank you,

Solution #1

1. ​Shut down your Toshiba computer.
  2. Press and keep holding the key 0 (zero) on the keyboard while turning on your Toshiba computer.
  3. Once a menu appears, release the key 0.
  4. Then do the factory restore / recovery option there.

Solution #2:

1. At the password ***** login screen, press and keep holding the Shift key on the keyboard.
  2. Click on the Power icon at the bottom right of the computer's screen, then click on the option Restart while still holding the Shift key.
  3. When a menu appears, then you can release the Shift key.
  4. When prompted, click on the Troubleshoot option.
  5. Then select the option Reset PC, and continue.
  6. When prompted, select the option "Removing everything", and "Just remove files", and continue / reset.

Also, please click on the two websites below for the two instruction videos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zonjyd2L_GQ&t=7

https://youtu.be/YZ8xCcPj7ss?t=7

Does your Toshiba computer have Windows 7, 8, 10, etc.? We can schedule a time. Please reply at the box below, then click on the Send button below. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Viet, sorry for the delay in replying but I wasn't at home which is where my laptop is. It shows Windows 7 Professional.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Solution #1 and Solution#2 did not work. It just comes up with my aunt`s name and to enter the Password :( Sorry I can`t do the live telephone call as I can not afford £16.

Were you able to watch both the instruction videos at the two websites below?

https://youtu.be/YZ8xCcPj7ss?t=7

- Are you stuck at any step? Or is there any error or message?

We can schedule a time. Please reply at the box below, then click on the Send button below. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have declined the offer on the basis that the solutions you offered where not for the laptop my aunt has given me. I also did look at both videos and again they are not for the laptop I have the issue with, however, I did still follow the instructions but that did not work either :(

I'm sorry. Please try the third solution below:

Solution #3:

1. Shut down your Toshiba computer.
  2. Turn on your computer, and right away, start tapping the F12 key quickly and repeatedly on the computer's keyboard until the "Boot Menu" screen appears.
  3. Using the arrow keys to highlight option <HDD Recovery> and then press the "Enter" key.
  4. Select option Yes.
  5. Select option Troubleshoot.
  6. Select option Reset....
  7. When prompted, select the option "Removing everything" if available, and "Just remove files", and continue / reset.

- If that still does not work, you can request the Toshiba recovery media at the website below:

https://support.dynabook.com/recovery#media

Thank you for your patience.