Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

My fifteen year old Hitachi TV no longer switches on. I have

My fifteen year old Hitachi TV no longer switches on. I have changed the power plug and lead and the power wall socket works with other devices
JA: Is your Hitachi TV connected to a surge protector or power strip?
Customer: no
JA: Have you tried to power reset your TV (unplugging the power for 1-2 minutes, then plugging it back in)?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the TV Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi there and welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble with your TV. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the TV and any other devices connecting to the TV such as a cable box ect (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the TV and connecting devices, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No change. No power light on TV

Can you disconnect everything from the TV, so cable box, Bluray player, Antenna ect

Then connect only the power, power it on and tell me how it then functions please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No thanks.. I think the problem may be a fuse in the tv. It will have gone for a reason. If I replace it it will,probably blow again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. I will disconnect the attachments as you suggest

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tv not switching on. It shows no power light for either on or off

Which model TV do you have?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wait , please
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PW2 42pd7500

Ok, in the plug you should see a fuse, like page 5 here

https://manualmachine.com/hitachi/42pd7500/1178734-user-manual/

Has it blown?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I have checked by using another power cable. Still no power

I am sorry to hear that.

It is the powerboard in the TV that has faulted.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the TV to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The tv is about 15 years old. Will they still have the right power board?

They do still sell them here

https://www.tvparts.co.uk/TV-parts-for-HITACHI-42PD7500

And if you tell me your location I can find a company that can install it but you would need to question the value of it as a TV at this age will likely have additional issues in the upcoming years.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. That’s what I thought. May be time to trade it in. I’m in London W13 8AH UK

I think thats best but you can call London TV repairs on(###) ###-####6173 if you consider having it repaired.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much.

You are welcome