Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have an MG5350 printer/copier/scanner. It has suddenly

I have an MG5350 printer/copier/scanner. It has suddenly stopped printing text, but prints photos, ie I printed a page with both text and photos, and only the photos were printed. Ordinary text only pages do not print at all, thouth the device sounds like it is printinf.
JA: Is there an error code on your printer when you try to scan?
Customer: I’ve not tried scanning since the problem occurred, only printing and copying. Should I try a scan?
JA: When did you last update the printer driver software?
Customer: Cannot ever remember updating the driver software since getting the device.
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble with your printer. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
After switching back on, copying worked (both photos and text), but printing didn’t. Got only the photos, though it sounded like the machine was printing.

Can you remove the ink from the printer then power it off.

then using a Q-Tip with cleaning alcohol (or warm water if you do not have any), clean out the areas where the ink goes in.

Then use a damp cloth and wipe down the inside of the printer.

Once done, let it dry for 10 minutes

Then put the ink back in, power it on and tell me if it then prints correctly please

This will also allow you to see if any foreign objects are in the printer which may cause this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have printed a test page from the printer utility. I don’t know what the printout is supposed to look like, but what I got was 8 thick coloured lines with CCCMMMY and BK printed respectively against each line between two black vertical lines. All print cartridges are showing as having ample ink.

Did you do the instructions I gave you, repeated below

Once done, let it dry for 10 minutes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. I will try this now. I will get back to you when I have done so

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Progress. Successfully printed a mixed text/photo page. Also on the Print Test Page utility, this time. I got an extra section at the top containinhg PGBK berween two vertical lines, and then a grid, which I hadn't got previously. Quality of the printing isn’t brilliant, but the photos are fine!

Ok, try cleaning again please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will do

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Successfully printing text, though quality isn’t great. So it looks like some physical problem with the printer. As the photos and test page appear to print fine, I wonder whether the problem lies with the black cartridges or where the ink goes in on the black. I’ve replaced one of the black cartridges, but not the other as I don’t have a spare. Should we leave it until I get a new cartridge, and then try with two new black cartridges?

yes please