Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have a nearly new Canon MX475 printer. The colour ink is

I have a nearly new Canon MX475 printer. The colour ink is nearly finished - plenty of black and I'm trying to print black from colour text. I pressed the black and it comes out weak colour and now won't print at all. Advise please
JA: What kind of computer or device are you printing from?
Customer: I'm using the printer copy facility
JA: How long has this been going on with your MX475?
Customer: A while - it did copu black from colour illustrations when I requested but not now
JA: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?
Customer: Haven't done so - I'm 80 and not technically skilled
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes please - how to copy in black from colour print / illustrations

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble with your printer. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks - I waited the 10 minutes - switrched back on and requested black print - printer worked but no print on the page

Can you remove the ink from the printer then power it off.

then using a Q-Tip with cleaning alcohol (or warm water if you do not have any), clean out the areas where the ink goes in.

Then use a damp cloth and wipe down the inside of the printer.

Once done, let it dry for 10 minutes

Then put the ink back in, power it on and tell me if it then prints correctly please

This will also allow you to see if any foreign objects are in the printer which may cause this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK see my printed response: Thanks - I waited the 10 minutes - switrched back on and requested black print - printer worked but no print on the page
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've tried tuning off and waiting 10 minutes - no change any - other suggestions please

Once done, let it dry for 10 minutes

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can print from the computer using black ink so don't think there's any ink flow problem - more advice please

I sent then repeated the instructions again.. can you please do them?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Done that but no improvement. Thanks for your advice.

Can you put different ink cartridges in the printer now and try