Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have a Canon MP560 printer which has worked very well for

I have a Canon MP560 printer which has worked very well for a number of years. Suddenly today the colour printing is coming out all wrong with only red and yellow showing up. I always change the colour cartridges when warned to do so. Can this problem be resolved?
JA: Does your printer have a self-cleaning feature? (If so, you may have to run this several times to see results.)
Customer: I don't know whether it has a self-cleaning feature. I'll try to look at the manual but if you can advise me whether the MP560 printer has that facility I'd be most grateful. If it doesn't, can you suggest any other remedy?
JA: When did you last replace the ink or toner? Have you tried wiping down the metal contacts on your printer and cartridges (if applicable)?
Customer: I replace the ink cartridges fairly regularly whenever the printer indicates that it's needed. I'm afraid I don't know about toner - please enlighten!
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Sorry I don't understand your question.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble with your printer. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'm afraid that hasn't solved the problem. I've tried photocopying a colourful magazine page. The greens are coming out orangy-red and the whole page has a pinkish tone with stripes across.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't want to spend too much money on resolving the problem unless I'm reassured it's worth it. I've had the printer for several years and suppose it may just be suffering from old age! Should I try replacing all the ink cartridges?

Can you remove the ink from the printer then power it off.

then using a Q-Tip with cleaning alcohol (or warm water if you do not have any), clean out the areas where the ink goes in.

Then use a damp cloth and wipe down the inside of the printer.

Once done, let it dry for 10 minutes

Then put the ink back in, power it on and tell me if it then prints correctly please

This will also allow you to see if any foreign objects are in the printer which may cause this.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've done what you suggest with the ink but forgot to turn the power off. So far the problem remains the same. I have to go out now for some hours but will try powering it off for one more try. I have a feeling the printer may have to be replaced.

If the issue still continues, please try replacing the ink in it and tell me how it then functions.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have replaced the ink cartridges and left the printer with power off. Just tried printing another page and the problem is the same.

Can you please follow the steps here to clean the printhead.

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART131477

Run it three times and tell me if it helps please

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for the link. I'll have a go at what the website suggests but am thinking more and more that I should buy a new printer. Thanks for trying to help. I will rate your help as requested. It has been fine except for the text messages to my landline which I've found somewhat incomprehensible I'm afraid.