Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

My friend has switched on the voice assistant on her

My friend has switched on the voice assistant on her galaxys2 tablet and can't get it off! I've reset the tablet and been able to enter her password ***** shown in the forum answers but the vice assistant keeps rejecting it and request I try again. This has been going on for 2 days now! Can you help?
JA: When did you last change the password ***** passcode to your device?
Customer: Not for some time. She's had the same one for 4 years!
JA: Is there a Gmail address linked to your device?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else you want the Android Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks.

Hi there and welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

To turn this off please do the following.

Using two fingers, swipe up on your home screen, to access your apps

Once Settings is selected with the focus box, double tap anywhere on the screen

Using two fingers, swipe up to navigate to the end of the Settings menu

Once Accessibility is selected with the focus box, double tap anywhere on the screen

Once 1 function in use is selected with the focus box, double tap anywhere on the screen

Once turn off is selected with the focus box, double tap anywhere on the screen to turn the feature off

Let me know how you go please

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can't get further than the keyboard!

which step of my instructions are you referring to please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I can swipe with two fingers which brings up the keyboard and the voice assist asking me to input the password. Then doesn't accept it!

you will need to tap once on the characher for the blue box to apear, then double tap on the charachter to select this.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Done all that for 2 days! It takes all the characters then won't accept when I double press ,done'
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Whe I’ve entered password ***** says 7 characters replaced by 0 characters. Try again in 19 seconds!

It means it is the incorrect password ***** it wont accept it

To try to reset the pin remotely please go to

https://findmymobile.samsung.com/

And sign in with your samsung account and chose to unlock the phone

Let me know how you go please

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Can’t sign in to her Samsung account on my tablet. It says I need to sign into the account on her device - which I can’t get into!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My tablet isn’t Samsung!

You said

My friend has switched on the voice assistant on her galaxys2 tablet

That is a Samsung tablet sorry

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Its her samsung that is locked but my tablet (on which we're communicating) is not samsung so I can't get into her account.

It does not matter which device you are using to do this on. It is just a website you access.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When I've tried to sign in, this message appeared: *To use this service, you must be signed in to your Samsung account on your device.

The ONLY way to remove the lock is to reset the device , which results in the data being removed from it. Its the whole point to the Pin, its there to protect the data.

I am sorry but you will need to reset the device, this will remove the data but you cannot avoid this sorry.

To do this

Shut the POWER OFF, take the battery out and put it back again.
2. Hold the Volume Down button
3. Briefly Press and release the Power button
4. A menu will then appears that let you allows for Fastbook, Recovery, Clear Storage, and Simlock
5. Select Clear Storage by pressing the Volume Down button
6. Quickly Press and release the Power button
7. Select Volume Up for YES and Volume Down for NO

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Stupid question I know - sorry! - but how do I get the battery out of the tablet?

If you do not have a removable battery, meaning the back does not come off then hold volume down and power to force it off this way instead please.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK I'll try that again - though this is how I addressed the problem 2 days ago myself but still just got as far as the keyboard!
Have done that and I'm backto sqaure 1!

When you do the steps there is no keyboard.

Which screen are you referring to please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok. So after I've held the power and voume down buttons, the screen goes black and then samsung logo appears and then it goes back to locked screen. When I swipe with 2 fingers, I get the keyboard with voice assistant requesting password. my friend has only ever had the one password.

When the screen goes black

Simultaneously press and hold Home button (located at the bottom) + Volume up button (located on the top-right edge) + Power button (located on the top-right edge to the left of Volume buttons) until Samsung logo appears then release.

Can you then get to the menu?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Looking at your steps, I don't get any menu (4) after resetting, just the samsung gala

Ok I just sent the steps I repeated below

When the screen goes black from restarting

Can you then get to the menu?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Just tried it again. Get samsung galaxy s 2 logo then samsung only logo then voice assistant starts up and lock screen appears telling me to swipe and enter password.

Please try to follow the instructions shown in this video as it may be easier to follow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59JRcOk1n9M

Let me know how you go please

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've done this on my pc. I don't get the little robot creature, just the blue screen, locked, and the voice assistant.

Go to http://android.com/devicemanager

Sign in with the Gmail account you used on the tablet

Choose Erase

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Richard, sorry about this but I'm going to have to go visit her. Think she's getting confused now about which email/password *****'s given me (-elderly and partially sighted lady). Thanks for trying to solve this. After I've got correct info and chosen erase, is there anything else I need to do?

I understand, once you reset it it is a new device again so you can set it up and it wont have a lock or any voice assistance enabled.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hopefully! Thanks so much for your endless patience and time!

You are most welcome

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Richard, if you're still there - and if you're not will someone please tell him?! IT'S WORKED and now I'm voice assist free!