Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

Our printer itself is fine and will photocopy. Maybe we

Hi, Our printer itself is fine and will photocopy. Maybe we pressed a wrong button somewhere on the laptop as it won't transmit to the printer to copy. Help!
JA: What's the brand and model of your printer?
Customer: It is a Brother DCP-197C
JA: How long has this been going on with your DCP-197C?
Customer: About 3 weeks. Need it for work.
JA: When did you last update the Operating System (OS) on the computer or device you're printing from?
Customer: Sorry, I am an oldie and don t
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Sorry, I am an oldie and don't know how to do that updating.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble with your printer. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I have just plugged it back on and need to check. Hope I can get back to you in a few minutes.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Not working - I have just tried to print a page from this Acer laptop. Printer is on and working but laptop doesn't seem to connect when I press "Print".
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Printer still not working. Laptop not connecting when I press "Print" . What else can I do or can you fix it from your end? Thanks
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Hi, are you able to respond Richard? Thanks

Can you now restart the computer and try to print please

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Have just tried but nothing is happening and not a sound from the printer! What next?

How is the printer connected to the computer, via a USB cable or wireless?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
There is a white cable leading from the right hand side of the computer to the back of the printer.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
We have had the printer at least 5 years and it has never had this problem before. I wonder if we have inadvertently pressed some button 3 weeks ago and cancelled something by mistake.

Are you on a windows or mac computer?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Windows 10 I think. Acer

Please disconnect the printer from the computer

Can you please click on Start, then Control Panel then go to Devices and Printers.

Then right click on the printer and select Remove.

Then restart the computer.

Connect the printer again to the computer

Go back to Devices and Printers, then click on Add Printer.

When it shows, click it, let it install and then try to print to it.

Let me know how you go please

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Have unplugged the printer. Under "Printers and Scanners" ours (DCP-197C) is not listed. There is no "Remove" button. Sorry - you will need patience with me!
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I clicked on the bit that says: "The printer that I want isn't listed" and it says it can't find it.

If it does not show there, it has been removed already

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
give me a few minutes and I'll carry on with your instructions.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
It says I have successfully added the DCP-197C printer but it has underneath: "Default, Error" and cannot print the test page.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Says the document is in a queue

Now restart the computer and try to print please

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Sorry I keep losing you! Have tried again to print and it just says: "Printer is in an error state."

Can you connect the printer to a different USB port on the computer, restart the computer again and tell me if it then works please

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
No luck

I am sorry to hear that.

It is the internal mainboard that has faulted.

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the printer to have it replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
O.K. Richard, thank you very much for your help and patience. Could you just tell me how much I have paid altogether. Is it £5? There seems to be more paid into a monthly subscription which I didn't ask for so how do I cancel that?

I do not see this sorry, for any payment questions please direct this to customer service on***@******.***

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
O.K. Richard, and thank you again. You have given me a way forward.

you are welcome