Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

I have a brother 847 compal sovereign sewing machine and

I have a brother 847 compal sovereign sewing machine and when I am sewing the top thread becomes wrapped around the spool pulls it up a little and then jams breaking upper thread. How can I solve this problem? Thank you Helen
JA: What are you having trouble accessing or opening?
Customer: No upper thread just wraps round the spool and I can get too the spool then have to cut thread at spool to remove my material
JA: What's the brand and model of your product?
Customer: a brother 847 compal sovereign sewing machine
JA: What have you tried so far?
Customer: altering the tension on spool both clockwise and anti clockwise it will sew for a while then it jams again, making stitches a little bigger
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: is it the upper thread tension or lower thread tension causing problem? it is set to auto on top thread.

Hi Helen! My name is***** am the expert who will be assisting you today.

The thread bunching up on the top side can actually be caused by incorrect tension on the bottom side.

So try adjusting the bottom side tensioner and let me know if that helps.

Also ensure the moving parts are clean, and any buildup of lint, etc. has been removed.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi Pete done that but still have same problem
I have taken pictures but not sure if I can send you them.
Thanks Helen

Hi Helen,

Yes, please attach pictures here using the Attach Item button.

Thanks,

Pete.

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
Hi Pete,I have attached photo of my machine and the spool problem where the top thread gets tangled around spool.
Thanks,
Helen

Hi Helen,

It looks like the upper thread may not be threaded correctly. If the upper thread is incorrectly threaded, the upper thread passed through the fabric cannot be firmly pulled up and the upper thread becomes tangled in the bobbin case.

To fix this, see the following guide:

https://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=sg&lang=en&prod=hf_inov30eas&faqid=faqh00100036_001