Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have been locked out of my hotmail account, no, i havent

Customer Question

I have been locked out of my hotmail account
JA: Are you logged into your Hotmail account on any other devices?
Customer: no, i havent used the account in years and have used too many password *****
JA: Do you have security questions or a phone number on file to help reset your password?
Customer: yes potentially both
JA: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thankyou
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 12 days ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble with your account. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Can you please use my link below to reset the password
https://account.live.com/password/reset
Once the password ***** ***** try to sign into the account.
Please let me know exactly what happens

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The email linked to the account***@******.*** is no longer active however i do have all the email saved for that account
Expert:  Richard replied 12 days ago.

Unfortunately you are not going to be able to recover this account. It is extremely important that you keep your recovery options up to date since that is your only way back in. With it being a free email service does not offer any support aside from what you have seen online. A few years back they did have more options for people in your situation but now they simply suggest you create a new account.

I am sorry to have to tell you this but there is no way back in. When you register for an account, it's up to you to provide the most up-to-date and valid recovery info. Your best option to avoid losing access is to update your recovery info if you get a new phone number or change your alternate email address.

So unfortunately there are no options left since you never updated your recovery information. In the interest of saving yourself some time I would suggest you don't spend more looking for a solution in this situation as you have no options aside from getting the correct password ***** am sorry to say. I just don't want to give you hope because in the last year they have completely cut off any type of support and leaves account recovery entirely up to the user meaning if you don't keep your recovery info up to date and forget or lose the password ***** cannot get back into the account.

Again, sorry to have to deliver the bad news but hopefully it saves you some time in the long run and prevents anything like this from ever happening again.