Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

I have a problem with my sewing machine, it switches on but

Hi, I have a problem with my sewing machine, it switches on but the display doesn’t come alight and the light underneath doesnt switch on either. When I have tried to press the foot to make it sew, it won’t sew either so I don’t know what’s wrong with everything
JA: What device is not powering up?
Customer: its a brother JK4000 sewing machine. It switches on as usual but the screen stays black and nothings working
JA: How long have you had your JK4000?
Customer: I think its about 2 years old
JA: What have you tried so far?
Customer: I dont know what to try other than plugging it in and just trying to switch it on.
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I think I’ve explained all the problems

Hi! My name is***** am the expert who will be assisting you today.

1. If the display and light are not coming on then the bulb may have blown and will need to be replaced.

2. If the machine won't sew when you press the foot pedal, then check the Bobbin Winder. If the Bobbin Winder shaft is moved to the right position (bobbin winding mode), the needle will not move. Return the Bobbin Winder shaft to the left position and press the Start-Stop Button or Foot Control to start the machine in the sewing mode.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Thankyou, I checked all that against some troubleshooting advice online. I feel really stupid now, because all I had to do was switch it off, unplug it, leave it for a while before plugging it back in and switching it on again. And there was no problem. Was just a fluke and I was too quick to panic. Thankyou for your prompt reply tonight but there turned out not to be any real problem after all.