Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

My friend lives in Ukraine. I have been trying to talk to

My friend lives in Ukraine. I have been trying to talk to her via facetime on her MacBook without success. She says she has contacted an IT specialist and they have said she has brought a Macbook with a German system and she should have got a US model. Is this correct information please?
JA: How long have you had your MacBook?
Customer: She brought it 3 weeks ago in Ukraine
JA: What have you tried so far with your Apple product?
Customer: I do not have it my friend does
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thanks

Hi there,

I am Pete and I'll be happy to assist you today.

It doesn't matter where the Macbook was bought. Facetime is a universal app, and should connect from one Apple device to another around the world.

Can you tell me more about what is happening, or what is not working?

i.e. Will the app not launch, or does it give an error message?

One of these solutions might help:

Quit the FaceTime app, then open it again.

Restart the Macbook (Apple menu > Restart).

If there are multiple cameras or microphones connected to the Macbook, check the Video menu in the FaceTime menu bar to make sure that the correct camera and microphone are selected.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
This is the reply I had from my friend.
We have been unable to connect to FaceTime and she said whilst trying to get it sorted she had internet connection issues and so contacted an IT specialist. This is her message to me:The guy said it cant connect until i have a new software and to update it it csn affect my other files .. its better i use it like this.. this mac has a Germany ���� system and its difficult I should have got a US model macbook thats what he saidIs this correct advice?

Is she trying to use a wireless connection? If so, try plugging it into the router using a network cable and that should allow it to connect and update.

Once it is fully updated, try using the wireless connection again.