Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have a Envy 5530 of 4 years old .Recently I cannot print

I have a Envy 5530 of 4 years old .Recently I cannot print from my iPad when in black only .It will not copy in black only Where there is colour on material to be printed ,both the colour and black print normally .There is no shortage of ink in cartridges .Whar is wrong?
JA: Does your printer have a self-cleaning feature? (If so, you may have to run this several times to see results.)
Customer: I have run “ clean printer head” and I get a print out of all colours but not black .
JA: When did you last replace the ink or toner? Have you tried wiping down the metal contacts on your printer and cartridges (if applicable)?
Customer: Black replaced in August . Checking state of inks shows colour statis as normal .It ignores black status If I check from the HP app from my IPad it shows a 90percent full status ,which is as expected .
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: My app also shows 2 messages , but there is no indication of what they refer to .

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble with your printer. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
No change .I have just tried copying a black page . Nothing .The ink indicator on the printer only shows a shadow for black ink level .It seems to just ignore black

Can you remove the ink from the printer then power it off.

then using a Q-Tip with cleaning alcohol (or warm water if you do not have any), clean out the areas where the ink goes in.

Then use a damp cloth and wipe down the inside of the printer.

Once done, let it dry for 10 minutes

Then put the ink back in, power it on and tell me if it then prints correctly please

This will also allow you to see if any foreign objects are in the printer which may cause this.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Have cleaned contacts .All was very clean on removal .So, where do we go from here ? I tried copying without success . The on screen display for ink levels is still the same , ignores black ink level .
It is as though instructions to activate the black printing have broken down .Up to a fortnight ago or so everything was fine .

On the printer control panel, touch the Settings icon .

Touch Tools, and then touch Clean Printhead. The printer cleans the printhead, and then prints a test page.

Run this three times and tell me if it improves please

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
I have printed 3copies of 6 colours (very clear ) ,but no black colour rectangle . No change to anything else .
Just to remind you , when I print from my iPad and the email , or web document , has some lines in colour the printer prints the colour print but also the black and white text . If I switch to printing in black only the printer goes through the motions but produces a totally blank sheet of A4 .We still have a problem

yes as it uses colors to make black, can you now replace the cartridge and see if it prints it please, if it does not it means the print head has faulted and you will need to return the printer sorry.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I think we have reached the end of attempts to resolve the problem .
What were the results when you replaced the cartridge?