Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have forgotten my password to a old email account, no, it

Customer Question

i have forgotten my password ***** a old email account
JA: Are you logged into your email account on any other devices?
Customer: no
JA: Do you have security questions or a phone number on file to help reset your password?
Customer: it has a recovery email which i do not recall having and the security questions are ones im unable to answer as it is an old account
JA: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 16 days ago.

Hi there and welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.
I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.
On the page you sign into your email account with, choose the option on the sign in page to reset the password.
Once done, use the new password ***** sign in.
Let me know how you go please.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
there is no option to reset only 'forgotten password?'
Expert:  Richard replied 16 days ago.

What is the email address with the issue?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 16 days ago.

Can you please use my link below to reset the password

https://account.live.com/password/reset

Once the password ***** ***** try to sign into the account.

Please let me know exactly what happens

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
i do not know the recovery email as i do not recall having a email with hotmail, and i have done the recovery form with the security questions at least 6 times now, as it is an old email i do not remember the information it is asking for
Expert:  Richard replied 16 days ago.

Unfortunately you are not going to be able to recover this account. It is extremely important that you keep your recovery options up to date since that is your only way back in. With it being a free email service does not offer any support aside from what you have seen online. A few years back they did have more options for people in your situation but now they simply suggest you create a new account.

I am sorry to have to tell you this but there is no way back in. When you register for an account, it's up to you to provide the most up-to-date and valid recovery info. Your best option to avoid losing access is to update your recovery info if you get a new phone number or change your alternate email address.

So unfortunately there are no options left since you never updated your recovery information. In the interest of saving yourself some time I would suggest you don't spend more looking for a solution in this situation as you have no options aside from getting the correct password ***** am sorry to say. I just don't want to give you hope because in the last year they have completely cut off any type of support and leaves account recovery entirely up to the user meaning if you don't keep your recovery info up to date and forget or lose the password ***** cannot get back into the account.

Again, sorry to have to deliver the bad news but hopefully it saves you some time in the long run and prevents anything like this from ever happening again.