Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

Canon IP4600 printer question please. Stopped printing

Customer Question

Canon IP4600 printer question please. Stopped printing because 'Ink Absorber full'. Message came up: 'Contact Service Centre'. Cannot locate telephone number. Thanks *****: What kind of computer or device are you printing from?
Customer: Canon IP 4600
JA: How long has this been going on with your IP4600?
Customer: Occasionally over last three months. Previous advice to press lower key (yellow light) has worked previously but not this time.
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thanks
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 19 days ago.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble with your printer. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Canon IP4600
Expert:  Richard replied 19 days ago.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Printer disconnected at 1218 and reconnected at 1238. Will not operate. Yellow light will not go out. Have checked for paper jams and found none.
Expert:  Richard replied 19 days ago.

Can you remove the ink from the printer then power it off.

then using a Q-Tip with cleaning alcohol (or warm water if you do not have any), clean out the areas where the ink goes in.

Then use a damp cloth and wipe down the inside of the printer.

Once done, let it dry for 10 minutes

Then put the ink back in, power it on and tell me if it then prints correctly please

This will also allow you to see if any foreign objects are in the printer which may cause this.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
When opening the top cover, the ink cartridge carrier normally moves automatically into view. This has not happened. Printer is still connected to power.
Expert:  Richard replied 19 days ago.

Please remove the power to the printer and try to move them to the middle by hand.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Unsuccessful. Will now break off for lunch and will return later this afternoon. Thanks for your attention.
Expert:  Richard replied 19 days ago.

I am sorry to hear that.

It is the absorbers that will need to be replaced

I am really sorry about this and you are going to have to return the printer to have this replaced. It will be covered by the warranty if this has not expired, and the replacement will be done at no cost to you.

I am really sorry about this, and if you have problems, or would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thanks for information. Going back one place, I have now been able to remove the ink cartridges and clean the inside of the printer. The green and yellow lights are still flashing alternatively. Does this mean that your later remarks regarding reference to Canon still apply please?
Expert:  Richard replied 14 days ago.

yes it does sorry