Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I have a Canon pixma mx340. It spat my paper out when

Hi. I have a Canon pixma mx340. It spat my paper out when printing and now says paper jam. There is no paper in it. I have manually fed paper through by turning the wheel by hand. I have unplugged it, left it over night but when I plug it in again it goes straight to paper jam message and I can't clear it. Any suggestions? Please!!
JA: What kind of computer or device are you printing from?
Customer: IBM ThinkPad
JA: How long has this been going on with your Pixma?
Customer: Since yesterday afternoon, was working fine then mid print this happened. Managed to clear it first time by switching on and off and could use scanner but tried to print again, it started, spat the paper out and NIW I can't clear the message
JA: Anything else you want the Printer Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble with your printer. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Please note, a rating is only needed when we are finished.

Can you please remove the power to the printer (so unplug it from the power socket).

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the printer, turn it on and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I have tried this several times already. Still doesn't work

Can you remove the ink from the printer then power it off.

then using a Q-Tip with cleaning alcohol (or warm water if you do not have any), clean out the areas where the ink goes in.

Then use a damp cloth and wipe down the inside of the printer.

Once done, let it dry for 10 minutes

Then put the ink back in, power it on and tell me if it then prints correctly please

This will also allow you to see if any foreign objects are in the printer which may cause this.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
It cleared the error, it printed a page and then the error returned. Thought we had solved it but we haven't

Can you replace the ink cartridges and tell me how they then function please

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I don't have any others to replace them with. They are half full
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I can't do anything until I clear the message again

We need to replace them to rule out a faulty cartridge please

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
you can't help me any more then? Why is a faulty cartridge giving a paper jam error? Can I perform a hard reset without using the menu?

Because the cartridge can set off the error, this is why we need to replace it please.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
There is the sensor for the paper jam?
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
I will have to order more cartridges
Customer: replied 17 days ago.
Where is the sensor?

The sensor placements are not documented