Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

Something has happened to my mac whereby I cannot open or

Hi Pearl. Something has happened to my mac whereby I cannot open or save word documents. The message appears I do not have permission to do these things. I can only open the documents in pages. Please help! many thanks Elizabeth
JA: Which programs (name and version) are you experiencing this issue with?
Customer: they appear in the title as .docx Where do I look for further information on this?
JA: The Microsoft Office Technician will be able to walk you through that. Is your Word document saved to cloud storage services like Dropbox, Google Drive, or OneDrive?
Customer: Some are but most are saved in documents or desktop
JA: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. This is the only problem. Thank you.

Hi there and welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.
Power off the mac

Then start the Mac and hold down the Command and R keys at startup.

Hold these keys until the Apple logo appears. After your computer finishes starting up, you should see a desktop with an OS X menu bar and an OS X Utilities window

choose Disk Utility from the Utilities window, or from the Installer menu if you're started from an installation disc.

Click the First Aid tab.

Click the disclosure triangle to the left of the hard drive icon to display the names of your hard disk volumes and partitions.

Select your Startup Disk (usually named "Macintosh HD").

Click Repair. Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Let this complete and when it has, tell me if you still have the problem please.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I'll give it go. How do I get back to you if it doesn't work as I'll have lost this connection?
I'm not a great computer buff and would prefer to be talked through via phone if that's possible?
Uhoh. Not if it'll cost me another £16

You can message me here, as you are doing now, but if the instructions are done correctly this will normally solve this issue.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I cannot even shut down my computer. It says microsoft word interrupted shutdown and tells me to quit microsoft word, which I cannot do. When I try to close the document open on my computer the message comes up that word cannot open the document as the user does not have access privileges.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I've just forced shut down so will try to follow your instructions now

ok thanks

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I've got as far as clicking on the first aid tab but cannot see a disclosure triangle. To the left is a highlighted icon macOS Base Syst with an arrow pointing up.If I click on it the message comes up 'Failed to eject macOS Base system because itt is currently in use.

You do not click MacOS, you click

"Macintosh HD".Click Repair.

Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
OK I've clicked Macintosh HD but cannot see 'Repair'. The choices include 1st aid, partition, erase, restore and unmount

it is down a little from that

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The main body of the page shows the used and free volumes and has a table that starts with mount point and ends with device.( I keep getting SMS texts on the phone but hesitate to answer as I don't want to pay an extra £16. Can we continue with chat please).
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Should I try running first aid again?

yes please

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
It's done and says it was successful. Do you want any info from 'details'?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I can click 'done' now if you want.
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
to clicking 'done' or yes to details?

Click done and see if you still have the issue

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I've clicked done and am back to the Macintosh HD page with the 5 icons I mentioned before on the top menu bar and no sign of an option to 'repair'.

You said you did the repair, so you do not need to do it again.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
When did I say that? I said I couldn't see 'repair. 'All I've done is run first aid twice. I could try starting the computer again to see if anything has happened if you like?

That is the repair

So please restart the Mac and see if you have the issue

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
OK thank you. Will do.

you are welcome

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
When Itry to open a word doc it apologises that MW was closed. There is an instruction with a tick to restart MWord which I have done but the same message just reappears under the heading microsoft error reporting

It is not complaining about permissions anymore? But now a different error?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.

What is the exact wording of the error you now get?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
There was a problem and M Word was closed. We apologise etc...
Then there is a blue box that is ticked next to Restart Microsoft Word. I click OK. The box goes away.I try to open a word doc and the message reappears

Restart the Mac then try to use word

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
OK

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I'm afraid it's the same story. Same message appears when I try to open a word document
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I cannot open the doc with M Word although it will open in pages. This is the same as before. The trouble is I cannot save word docs either.

Power off the Mac

Hold shift and with it held power on the mac, release shift when at the sign in screen then try word please

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
OK I'll close it down and then start it holding down shift. Just to check is shift the up arrow above fn or is it command?

The up above ctrl, that lets you type CAPITALS

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Now I'm getting a message this Mac can't connect to icloud because of a problem with my email address. Behind that box is the samebox we had before with th message there was a problem and MWord was closed etc and an option to restart MWord, which we've done several times now,
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
If I look at the error report it includes things like crashed module name/version/offset and blame module name/version

Which version of office are you using

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I'm not sure. Where do I look?

On the package it came in or did you download it online?

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
The computer was a Christmas present from my family 3 years ago. It came with word
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I've found word in my apps and opened the contents. There are options like Code signature, frameworks, MAC OS etc.

You are going to need to reinstall Word so you need to find out which version it is and where the disk is for it please

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I'm going to have to ask my son in Berlin about that. Will that defi itely solve the problem?
Customer: replied 12 days ago.
I suppose it would be the version thatwas current 3 years ago

yes, a reinstall will solve this for you

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
OK thank you for your help in trying to fix it.

You are welcome