Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

I got a new phone a month ago and now it is asking me if I

Customer Question

Hello, I got a new phone a month ago and now it is asking me if I wish to continue using the services securely I need to sign in again. I get so far but then it sends a 4 digit code to my old phone number (15 years ago) so I can't put the code in! As a consequence I cannot make phone calls! My new phone number is ***** (UK +44) Thank you
JA: When were you last able to use your phone?
Customer: Yesterday
JA: Have you tried a Factory Reset? This will erase the phone's contents, but the Smartphone Expert can walk you through restoring your photos, contacts and other data from a backup (if you have one).
Customer: NO, I don't know how to do that.
JA: The Smartphone Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Smartphone Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Will I lose photos if this occures?
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 22 days ago.

Hi there and welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Can you please call the phone number linked to the account and see if someone answers it.

If so, please ask then for the code and use this to reset the password.

Let me know how you go please

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I can't as it only gives me 8 numbers - 4 are **** and I can not remember that number as I had it 15 years ago
Expert:  Richard replied 22 days ago.

What is the email address with the issue?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
hello?
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 22 days ago.

Unfortunately you are not going to be able to recover this account. It is extremely important that you keep your recovery options up to date since that is your only way back in. With it being a free email service does not offer any support aside from what you have seen online. A few years back they did have more options for people in your situation but now they simply suggest you create a new account.

I am sorry to have to tell you this but there is no way back in. When you register for an account, it's up to you to provide the most up-to-date and valid recovery info. Your best option to avoid losing access is to update your recovery info if you get a new phone number or change your alternate email address.

So unfortunately there are no options left since you never updated your recovery information. In the interest of saving yourself some time I would suggest you don't spend more looking for a solution in this situation as you have no options aside from getting the correct password ***** am sorry to say. I just don't want to give you hope because in the last year they have completely cut off any type of support and leaves account recovery entirely up to the user meaning if you don't keep your recovery info up to date and forget or lose the password ***** cannot get back into the account.

Again, sorry to have to deliver the bad news but hopefully it saves you some time in the long run and prevents anything like this from ever happening again.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Well... that's totally shit - basically I cannot use my new phone as I can't actually make a call!
Expert:  Richard replied 22 days ago.

You will need to use a different account to complete the setup.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Ok thanks - do you know how I do that?
Expert:  Richard replied 22 days ago.

You can create a new account here

https://account.microsoft.com/account?lang=en-gb