Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

My Microsoft Money Plus won't open when Iclick on the icon

JA: Hi. How can I help?
Customer: My Microsoft Money Plus won't open when Iclick on the icon it just makes a crackling sound. I have been happlily running this programme for 3 years or so and this is the first time I have encountered a problem. Please advise how I can fix this problem.
JA: What device or product has sound issues?
Customer: Lenova ideapad 310
JA: How long have you had your IdeaPad?
Customer: Approx 4 years
JA: What have you tried so far with your Lenovo product?
Customer: I can open my files, outlook, word etc
JA: Anything else you want the Microsoft Office Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No

Hi there and welcome to Just Answer, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.
I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.
Please disconnect the power cable to the computer then hold the power button in for 60 seconds then release.
Then connect the power cable, power it on and tell me how it now functions.
Please let me know the results.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Still cannot open Microsoft Money Plus. same crackle noise occurs.

Do other programs work?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Happy to type
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
other programmes work

I want to do a system restore please which does not touch your files but returns the drivers before the issue

To do this, close all programs.

Press the windows key (the one to the left of the left ALT key) + R and type in the run box that opens

rstrui

Press enter

Then follow the onscreen steps to choose a system restore and choose a date before this problem occurred.

Let it complete, it can take up to an hour, but it will complete or error if it fails.

Once it has completed, tell me if it now functions correctly please

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Ok but please can you solve my problem first

To do this, close all programs.

rstrui

Press enter

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Hi Richard
Unfortunately the restore did not fix my problem. I am still unable to open Microsoft Money also Google Chrome will not open now. So I am using Edge.

I want to undo the system restore please

To do this, close all programs.

rstrui

Press enter

Then choose to undo it

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi RichardI have now completed system restore. Chrome is now operating again but I still have the original problem with Microsoft Money plus not opening.

ok, than do the following please

Click start, type in CMD and right click on command prompt and select run as administrator

A black window will open.

Type in it

sfc /scannow

press enter and when it has completed, type in

chkdsk /r

Press enter.

It will give a message "the type of the file system is NTFS cannot lock current drive.

chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts y/n" Say Y, press enter and restart the computer.

Please note, while this normally only takes 10 minutes to run, it can take at times number of hours if windows encounters many issues. If this is occurring it is critical to let this complete as it means you have corruption on the hard drive that it needs to fix. Even if it looks like the scan is not progressing, it is, please just let it run to completion. Windows will then start when it has.

Then try to open it please

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
Hi RichardI have followed your instructions but unfortunately Microsoft Money will still not open.

Can you run the installation for it again please and tell me if it then opens

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Hi RichardHow do I run the installation? To open Microsoft money I usually just click on the icon.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
that does not open it.

This is from the disk you installed it from, do you still have this?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi RichardNo. I installed it direct off the internet. Can you guide me through how I obtain it again and how I install the back up? Many thanks.

Download it from here please and install it

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
where is here

the link did not come through for some reason, get it here please

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=32434

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
The programme I had was Microsoft money plus sunset Delux. When I went to download it advised the product was no longer available. I tried to download it from another website but although installed cannot find it on my computer. Help please !!

Restart the computer and try to find it please

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Hi I have restarted my computer , gone to ap clicked on the Microsof Money ap but only have the option to Modify or uninstall (although it has denoted todays date beside the icon I am not sure wheter it is still the old ap I am looking at as there are not 2 on the list.

If so then it is installed, locate the icon in the start menu please

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I have tried 2 methods of locating from the start menu: typed in Mondy plus and clicked on the icon. scrolled down to Microsoft Money Plus folder, opened it and clicked on Money Plus icon. Either way the ap will not open.

Try to install it again please

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Shall I uninstall the faulty one first?

No, try to install over it

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Oh dear still not working. I installed it and then went to start scrolled down to Microsoft Money Plus folder, opened it and clicked on Money Plus icon. Is this ther correct procedure?

So it now shows Money installed?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
There is a file as I described in my last message but it will not open. I initially shows the Microsoft money logo and plays the first 3 musical notes then closes.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I have an up to date back up. So would it be best to uninstall it and then at least I would know if the new installation has worked,

yes please do so

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi RichardI was about to uninstall and thought I would click on the other folder in Microsoft Money Plus called insights please see below the instruction
Insights could not open the file and will now close. Your file may be corrupt.
To repair the file: on the taskbar, click Start, and thebn click Run. Type msmoney -s filename where filename is ***** ***** path to yourMoney file, and the press Enter. If Insights still cannot open your file, call Microsoft Technical Support.Should I try this first? not sure if I type in filename or replace it with a name of a file

It is not the file as Money wont even open

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
should I just ignore this message and continue with your instructions to uninstall and reinstall?

yes please

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I have uninstalled Microsoft money and now unable to connect to website I used before to download Microsoft Money Plus Sunset Deluxe. Can you recommend a basic home banking package that is compatible?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
This is the website I have been using but now get this message
Error 503 Service Unavailable
Service UnavailableGuru Mediation:
Details: cache-lhr7354-LHR(###) ###-####302810465
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi Richard I have got stuck again when opening the downloaded file the following message appears
Money cant open this file because it was created using a different version of Money. To open a different file or create a new file, on the File Menu, Click Open or New.Which option do I choose and please advise how I proceed.

If this is the case you won't be able to open the file sorry as this is the only version of money available now

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Have you any suggestions as to what I should do. Do I need to download another version and start from scratch? If so can yiou recommend a basic home account package which I can download my bank statement to - enabling me to reconcile it.

You will need to start from scratch

You can do so via the File, New option in money

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi Richard
Many thanks. Managed to download.
Almost there - just stumbled at the last hurdle! I have set up my account details and went to back up my data before closing and received a message The path name is ***** ***** use a valid path name. The error report shows in the top bar
Not secure |http://www.msn.com/en-us/moneyPlease advise what I should do.Also how do I pin this to ther bottom bar of my home screen.

on what step do you get the error

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
When I have totally finished the set up and wish to exit.

restart the computer and try to use it please

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi RichardI have now done this but still the back up error comes up and when I click on the error report brings me to a blank page with
Not secure |http://www.msn.com/en-us/money in the link title

I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Hi RichardI have sorted it out via settings and tried a few back ups which have worked (Thank Goodness!)Many thanks for your patience and help