Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

My Hotmail email account was hacked yesterday and scam

Customer Question

My Hotmail email account was hacked yesterday and scam messages were sent to all my clients. Several took the bait. Upon notification, I attempted to change the password. Howver later I was unable to access to see what was going on. Only in the evening when I had time I downloaded an outlook version did I see the damage.
JA: Are you logged into your Hotmail account on any other devices?
Customer: I want to understand how this happened. And while told to change passwords unabiling to get in actually prevented me writing to people to earn them.
JA: Do you have security questions or a phone number on file to help reset your password?
Customer: Linked to Hotmail & phone. Actually I need to get into and activate Hotmail on Mac where I still have history. No matter how many password ***** I'm told account exits password ***** The outlook version I downloaded on Mac has no history and the fraud emails are all in delete box.
JA: Anything else you want the Email Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want to know what service you have to report these kinds of things. What I could or should have done. Friends and family are out of alot of money.
Category: Electronics
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Clients, friends and family
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Couldn't warn them cuz couldn't get into Hotmail after changing password
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
That's first problem getting relevant authorities to investigate the will continue as this was very lucrative for them about 2,000 dollars they got.
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
They will
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
ethically the shame and embarrassment for me
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Second problem, is I have no functioning email. Normally U have both Hotmail and outlook installed on Mac and mobile. I use Hotmail where I still have history on my mobile.
Expert:  Pete replied 16 days ago.

Hi! My name is***** am the expert who will be assisting you today.

Expert:  Pete replied 16 days ago.

The only Hotmail recovery method is at https://account.live.com/password/reset

If you don't have access to your account recovery phone number or alternate email address, this is the only process you can go through to possibly regain access to your account. It is critical that you keep your recovery information up to date. Not doing so is by far the fastest way to lose access to your account forever.

During the recovery process, you will need to click on  “I don’t have these any more”. The “Send code” button will change to Verify online;  click that.

The recovery process now switches to a possibly manual account-verification process.
You once again provide the email address of the account to which you are attempting to gain access, as well as another email address at which you can be contacted. This second email address can be any account to which you currently have access.
Click Next. You may be sent a code to the second email account, which you’ll enter to verify you have access to it. You’ll then be presented with a page requesting an assortment of information.
This page asks you to provide as much information as you can about the account, including:

1. Your name and birth date.

2. Your location.

3. The answer to your security question(s), if you had one or more set up.

4. Other passwords you may have used on this account in the past.

5. The subject lines of any emails you may have sent recently.

6. The names of any folders you’ve created in your account.

7. The email addresses of any contacts to which you’ve recently sent email.

8. Billing information, including a credit card, if you have any associated with the account.

The goal here is to provide enough information to prove you are who you say you are: the rightful account holder.