Pete
Pete, Engineer
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience in the Electronics and IT industries.
30970729

Dear Roland, PLEASE can somebody help me! I have a regularly

Dear Roland, PLEASE can somebody help me! I have a regularly used (for concert performances by various professionals) ROLAND CLASSIC 50 harpsichord dating back to 1990. It is all functioning perfectly except for just one single keyboard note which suddenly went quite dead a week ago. I live in North Norfolk and am desperately trying to find some way of getting back into action. I am 75 years old and not too up to date on IT stuff but I'm hoping you might be able to refer me to some suitable technician (be it a ROLAND guy or somebody else). Transport over a reasonable distance is no problem.
JA: What device is not powering up?
Customer: The CLASSIC 50 is powering up and functioning perfectly normally in all respects except for the one dead keyboard key. I'm told that this is not unusual.
JA: How long have you had your Roland?
Customer: It was bought in 1990 probably in Ipswich (the date is on the manual!) by a long deceased Cathedral Organist who gave it to me 16 years ago
JA: What have you tried so far with your Sagem product?
Customer: Sorry, don't understand! What's Sagem please? I tried signing in with a Backstage account but got no sense out of it I'm afraid
JA: The Technician will be able to walk you through that. Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: I don't think so. The instrument is currently a few miles away in the house of the musician whose performance had to be abandoned when the CLASSIC 50 failed unexpectedly. It will come 'home' in a day or so.

Hi! My name is***** am the expert who will be assisting you today.

The symptoms you are experiencing indicate there is contamination under the key. It may be that something has been spilled on them, or there  is just dirt or dust under it, preventing it from making good contact when pressed.

The keyboard will need to be disassembled and cleaned thoroughly.

If the keyboard hasn't been serviced recently you should arrange a service to resolve this issue.

Please let me know if you have any further questions on this topic and I'll be more than happy to help? :)
Have a good day and stay safe,
Pete.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thanks Pete for that. My problem is that here in Norfolk I have no idea where to take it too. The only big music shops in Norfolk no longer deal with ROLAND and I just need to find some local technician who can disassemble the ROLAND CLASSIC 50 and clean/sort out the keyboard. Any ideas ?

Any electronic repair shop should be able to do this for you, it just requires some technical skill to disassemble the keyboard and then use electronic contact  cleaner to clean the pads under the keys - all pads should be cleaned in case other keys fail in future.

You can try Campbells Electronic Repair in Norwich - 07917 840156

http://campbellselectronicrepair.co.uk/

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thanks very much for that, Pete. I'll try them and see if they can help. ROLAND themselves seem to be quite useless and have a highly developed skill in putting off customers!

You are very welcome :)

Should you have any further questions on this topic, feel free to reply back at any time.
Have a great day,
Pete.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thanks for that Pete. I've got about as far as I can go. Maybe Campbells in Norwich might respond to two messages left with them (which I doubt) although there are two further contacts for me to follow up. I didn't realise that when ROLAND's own website hooked me through to Just Answer I would not be 'speaking' to a ROLAND person. The latter organisation (wrong word!) is frankly a waste of space. Thanks for your time nevertheless. I suspect, sadly, that the local dump will be the Final Solution. So, I don't need a phone call from anybody and hope that I haven't already been charged for one that hasn't, and won't, take place. Cheers.

You are very welcome :)
Pete.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Dear Pete,Sorry for delay in responding. I have attempted to give you 5 stars but, like so many websites, it is not exactly clear how it functions. I still don't understand how the ROLAND UK website unwittingly nudged me towards JustAnswer. As it happens your answer to me ('Your keyboard needs servicing....') was something that was quite clear to me in the first place and why I was trying to contact ROLAND themselves to tell me. Some hope! Your suggested Norfolk keyboardservicing contact was a complete non-starter (no response to messages left...) as indeed were some 5 other contacts/dealers/repairers. My only problem now is how to disentangle myself completely from JustAnswer as I had no idea what I was being led into and will have no further requirements. Hope my rating (given as a result of my inbuilt good nature!) got through.Regards,Robert

Hi Robert that is fine, thank you very much for the feedback!

Have a good day and stay safe,
Pete.