Richard, Engineer
Experience:  Electronics Engineer
32989067

The display on my Garmin GPSmap550 is broken. The back light

Customer Question

The display on my Garmin GPSmap550 is broken. The back light has gone The display is very very faint but shows the satnav function is OK. Can the display be fixed?
JA: How old is your GPSMAP?
Customer: At least 5-6 years
JA: What have you tried so far with your Garmin?
Customer: Switching on/off no joy. Have also tacken the back cover off to see if display is accessible but so complicated inside, i didn't mess with anything just put the cover back on.
JA: Anything else you want the GPS Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that the display is so faint as to be unusable. The navigation function is still working.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 15 days ago.

Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.

I’m sorry to hear you're having trouble with your device. I know that can be frustrating. Hopefully, we can get this resolved quickly.

Can you please remove the power to the device (so unplug it from the power socket)

Then wait 10 minutes, connect the power again to the device and tell me please if it is now operating correctly.

Let me know the results please

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
This has been done with a much longer than a 10 minute wait. No joy
Expert:  Richard replied 15 days ago.

Ok, the invertor has failed but with it being this old you will need to replace the unit sorry, a repair is not economically feasible for this unfortunatly.