Andrew Balfour
Andrew Balfour,
Experience:  Electronics Technician at KINGSWOOD DOMESTIC APPLIANCE LTD
110699312

We have a single socket that has stopped working, Dont know,

Customer Question

We have a single socket that has stopped working
JA: What's the brand and model of your product?
Customer: Dont know
JA: What have you tried so far?
Customer: Replaced the socket
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Andrew Balfour replied 9 days ago.

Greetings and Welcome to JustAnswer.

I am Andrew your Support Technician with over 30 years of experience, it can be very frustrating when electronic devices go wrong but from my experience misconfiguration are usually the problem and they can be quickly resolved with the right advice and assistance. Please allow me a few moments to investigate, I will respond at the earliest either requesting more information or providing further information.

Thank you for your patience while I investigated your question. I will need some additional information in this instance as the information provided initially has not been very clear, I hope that is ok with you.

1. Could I confirm your question refer to a wall power socket?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
indeed it does
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
It does not trip the mains at all either. When i replaced the socket for new one it seems to have worked for a split second and then stopped working again.

Thank you for confirming, I have investigated the information you have provided and based on the information you have provided I would say the issue can point at different areas that would need checking but I would not recommend you doing this your self, when it comes to electrics I always recommend consulting electrician because of the danger it involves if you not certain with what you are doing.

To break this down there's four areas to where the problems could be.

1. The electrical socket is faulty and needs to be replaced. 

2. The wiring has burnt out and need to be replaced, this can be a problem as it has to be re-wired to the fuse board.  

3. The RCD is tripping at the switch board which would need to be turned back on. 

4. Fuse may have blown on the switch board. 

I hope the information provided today helps and if you have any questions or require any further assistance, please let me know and I will do my best to answer those!

Andrew