Andrew Balfour
Andrew Balfour, Electronics Technician
Experience:  Over 30 Years Experience!
110699312

I have a Kobo, not very much used. Last night, I used a

Customer Question

I have a Kobo, not very much used. Last night, I used a battery pack to recharge it. I then went to an airport and when I tried to switch it on, the screen looks fractured although there is no impact mark. It shows 'Powered off' all the time, even when I manage to turn it on, part of a title for a book, and sometimes various messages such as settings etc. It is hard to turn on or won't turn on. It also tells me a book is 99% read. It might have had an impact, but I don't recall anything. I just wondered if somehow I had overcharged it with the battery pack and what I can do with it now... (Was going to finish my book on a six hour flight today... but couldn't).
JA: What device is not powering up?
Customer: A Kobo
JA: What's the brand and model of your product?
Customer: It's called a Kobo. You sound l Like you don't know what that is. It's a book reader, like a Kindle.
JA: What have you tried so far with your Amazon product?
Customer: Just tried to turn it on. Now I'm charging it.
JA: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: No. I think I've explained it all. The image on the looks fractured.
Category: Electronics
Expert:  Andrew Balfour replied 13 days ago.

Greetings and Welcome to JustAnswer.

I am Andrew your Support Technician with over 30 years of experience, it can be very frustrating when electronic devices go wrong but from my experience misconfiguration are usually the problem and they can be quickly resolved with the right advice and assistance. Please allow me a few moments to investigate, I will respond at the earliest either requesting more information or providing further information.

Thank you for your patience while I investigated your question. I will need some additional information in this instance as the information provided initially has not been very clear, I hope that is ok with you.

1. Could you share a image of the screen?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Not sure how I can do this…
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Users/robertnigelconstanduros/Desktop/IMG_1556.jpeg
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I'm worried that you don't actually know this product, so I'm not sure I want to commit to more expenditure

The reason I ask to see a image of the screen is so that I can estalish if it needs to be replaced.

As I have not heard back from you with the information requested, I will have to provide my answer based on the information you have provided us already, this may not be accurate, however, if you do wish to provide me with more information I can then look into investigating further!

Based on the information you have provided, it sounds like you have a query relating to a Kobo that has a screen that looks fractured. It would suggest to me that if there has been pressure applied to the screen its likely to damaged the display and in such instances, you will need to have the display replaced.

I would suggest you could attempt a power cycle and to so, please see the instructions I have attached below. 

1. Power the Kobo down. (Hold the power button)

2. Allow the device to remain powered off for 2 - 3 minutes.

3. Proceed to power the Kobo on. (Hold the power button).

4. Check if the screen has restored to working order. 

I hope the information provided today helps and if you have any questions or require any further assistance, please let me know and I will do my best to answer those!

Andrew