How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Frederick S Your Own Question
Frederick S
Frederick S, Computer Specialist
Category: Email
Satisfied Customers: 699
Experience:  Computer technician; founder of a home PC repair company.
Type Your Email Question Here...
Frederick S is online now

I'm taking a former employer to an Unfair Dismissal

Customer Question

I'm taking a former employer to an Unfair Dismissal Tribunal.
They've sent an e-mail to my solicitor that seems to have been "doctored" by their General Manager.
Is there any way I can get a copy of the original?
Bill xxx
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Email
Expert:  dantheman2008 replied 2 years ago.

Hi Bill.

I'm Daniel and will do what I can to assist you. Please do not rate me until we are done, and feel free to ask as much as you need.

Just so I understand the situation, a former employer unfairly dismissed you. you have then taken them to a tribunal and they (former employer) have sent a letter to you via your solicitor that has been doctored by your former employers general manager?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That is correct.
Expert:  dantheman2008 replied 2 years ago.

ok. right, what is it about the letter that makes you suspect that it has been doctored

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The original, which was sent to my e-mail address was two paragraphs long.
The one sent to my solicitor is two LINES long.
I was dismissed in March and left the building without forwarding e-mail to my personal e-mail address.
Expert:  dantheman2008 replied 2 years ago.

what I would do in this situation is write a brief letter to your solicitor explaining this, and ask him/her to write to your former employer asking for a copy of the original letter sent to you via email.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Already done this-the reply was the "doctored" e-mail.
Expert:  dantheman2008 replied 2 years ago.

In which case, you need to proceed with the hearing, and when you have your chance in court, explain that you have received partial correspondence from previous employer and wish for it to be investigated.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
You're giving me information I already have.
The question was "is it possible to retrieve a copy of original e-mail".
If you can't do this, please admit to it, and this is so, please cancel my agreement.
Thank you.
Expert:  dantheman2008 replied 2 years ago.

not without access to your original email account it was sent to.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank Dan, in which case please cancel my agreement.
Bill XXX