A. Stevens
A. Stevens, Computer Engineer
Experience:  10+ years of Desktop, Laptop, and Server troubleshooting and support.

The CD player on my system (SL-HD550 OR 350) bought several

The CD player on my system (SL-HD550 OR 350) bought several years ago and well out of warranty has developed a "stutter" on all discs played. Generally it appears after the first few minutes of play, sometimes immediately.
Otherwise the whole system works perfectly.
Is the "stutter" repairable ?
Can I buy just the CD player as a replacement or is it now obsolete ?
Hi, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to hep you with this issue.
You mentioned that the unit is several years old. Have you ever tried to clean the laser inside the unit?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Good. Can you help?

Many stutter issues can be a result of a dusty or dirty laser. Please let me know if you've ever tried to clean it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That's what I suspected but I don't know how to clean it. Not happy about taking the kit apart without knowing how to do so safely.

That's completely understandable, I wouldn't want to take apart something like that either. Way too easy to mess up...
There are however laser cleaners that you can use inside your system that will clean the laser. Let me find a link to show you what I'm talking about.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So what do you suggest ?
That amazon link will show you what I'm suggesting.
It is a CD with tiny brushes that can clean the lens inside of your player that should help fix the stutter problem.
If you have an electronics store nearby, they should sell something like that.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Great -- many thanks

Of course, please be sure to rate this question.